Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Torque converter replacement cost

Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter replacement cost

So I bought a 2008 JK Sahara automatic 4 door last month with 42k miles on it. Less than 500 miles later, and I am getting the transmission "shudder" that has been discussed often on this forum. When going up hillsat low rpm's, it feels like the transmission wants to shift but just can't quite figure it out. It feels like I am driving over rumble strips.

My Jeep obviously doesn't have the lifetime warranty, so I was wondering - How much is this going to cost me to correct? Has anybody on here paid for this repair?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Sometimes the torque converter shudder can be fixed with a software update. Have you looked into that?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Sometimes the torque converter shudder can be fixed with a software update. Have you looked into that?
The dealership told me that the software upgrade TSB only applies to 2007's. I see that you have an 08 auto as well - have you experienced otherwise?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by wolfpack2012
The dealership told me that the software upgrade TSB only applies to 2007's. I see that you have an 08 auto as well - have you experienced otherwise?
I have not had torque converter shudder. I know the tsb covers '07, but that doesn't mean an '08 may not need an update.

Mine got an overall update in 2010 when I brought it in for the trans temp warning recall.
Do you know if yours has had that recall?

Unfortunately, they won't look to see if you need an update upon your request. It's usually done when it's brought in for a problem and they are in the computer anyway.

You may indeed have a bad torque converter. I'm just pointing out it may be a software issue.

Another thing to consider: What is the condition of the fluid and filter? Burned or contaminated fluid can cause similar problems.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-30-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

I don't think mine was included in that recall.

I suggested the update to my dealer, and they said they would do it but could not guarantee any results. I guess it could be worth a shot?

My transmission fluid looks fine, but I have not checked the filter. I will add that to my list of things to do, hopefully it isn't too difficult!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Bump one last time to see if anybody knows the cost of this repair.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Bump one last time to see if anybody knows the cost of this repair.
If I wanted to know the cost of replacing my torque converter, I would call the dealer, and a local transmission shop, and ask what the parts and labor costs would be.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Without a warranty don't go to the dealer to replace the torque converter. The dealer will likely charge $500-$750 for the converter. Go to a local tranny shop and have them do the work. They can either get a rebuilt converter or have yours rebuilt. Every bit as good as new and possibly better if you opt for upgrades. The rebuilt converter should be $250ish. The big cost is in the labor. Transmission has to come out.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
Without a warranty don't go to the dealer to replace the torque converter. The dealer will likely charge $500-$750 for the converter. Go to a local tranny shop and have them do the work. They can either get a rebuilt converter or have yours rebuilt. Every bit as good as new and possibly better if you opt for upgrades. The rebuilt converter should be $250ish. The big cost is in the labor. Transmission has to come out.
Thanks, Silver! This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to get.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Silver! This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to get.
Beware of just replacing the converter there could be under lying problems. A good trans shop can drive your jeep and see what the trans is doing. Seeing if the converter is actually shuddering or if there is a line pressure problem. Most shop will not just replace the converter and give any kind of warranty they'll want to rebuild the trans to.

Quick Reply: Torque converter replacement cost