Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help with nav upgrade

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with nav upgrade

Am looking to upgrade my factory RES without unconnect to one of the nav units. Problem is I can't get the same answer from two different people on what all I would have to purchase. Through research it appears to me that if I go with the 730n the only thing I will need extra is the Mygig mic and an iPod cable for iPod control. With the 430n it appears that I have to purchase the entire unconnect system and then an iPod cable. Can anyone with more a lot more knowledge in this area than me confirm this or set me straight? I even had two different dealers give two different answers on what would be needed. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Bump...please help.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Happybg81
Am looking to upgrade my factory RES without unconnect to one of the nav units. Problem is I can't get the same answer from two different people on what all I would have to purchase. Through research it appears to me that if I go with the 730n the only thing I will need extra is the Mygig mic and an iPod cable for iPod control. With the 430n it appears that I have to purchase the entire unconnect system and then an iPod cable. Can anyone with more a lot more knowledge in this area than me confirm this or set me straight? I even had two different dealers give two different answers on what would be needed. Thanks in advance for any help.
I would say you are on the right track. What year is your JK? You'll also need the GPS antenna, but in later models the GPS antenna was combined with the Sirius antenna into a single unit.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepdave

I would say you are on the right track. What year is your JK? You'll also need the GPS antenna, but in later models the GPS antenna was combined with the Sirius antenna into a single unit.
Sorry, should have said that. It's a 2012 JKU Sport.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

You are correct in regards to Bluetooth connectivity. The 730N has a built in bluetooth module, so no need to purchase the extra Uconnect module, but you would still need a mic.

For the iPod control, the 730N has 3 USB connections which are able to control the iPod by plugging them into one of the USB ports.

For more info, you can click on my 730N install write up in my signature.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll

You are correct in regards to Bluetooth connectivity. The 730N has a built in bluetooth module, so no need to purchase the extra Uconnect module, but you would still need a mic.

For the iPod control, the 730N has 3 USB connections which are able to control the iPod by plugging them into one of the USB ports.

Thank you!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll

Very good write up. I was told the newer JKs(11-12) already have both Sirius and GPS antenna even if you only have Sirius. Any idea if this is true? I haven't torn into anything yet, but your write up is exactly what I'm looking to do. Also, are there more than one part numbers for the 730n and does it matter which one you get if there is?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very good write up. I was told the newer JKs(11-12) already have both Sirius and GPS antenna even if you only have Sirius. Any idea if this is true? I haven't torn into anything yet, but your write up is exactly what I'm looking to do. Also, are there more than one part numbers for the 730n and does it matter which one you get if there is?
It's true. My 2012 JKUR was ordered with only the RES with Sirius (and connectivity). I upgraded to a 430N, and the nav is fully functional.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

It's true. My 2012 JKUR was ordered with only the RES with Sirius (and connectivity). I upgraded to a 430N, and the nav is fully functional.
Cool, thanks.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I wouldn't say that's true or not. From my understanding the 430N has a built in Navi antenna inside the radio. So you're kind of comparing apples to oranges.

Quick Reply: Help with nav upgrade