Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Tweeter upgrade (again)

Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeter upgrade (again)

I know there have been numerous threads about speaker upgrades, etc., and I've learned quite a bit in reading through them.

I thought I'd give back a bit by adding a couple of pics of a recent tweeter upgrade I did. The stock speakers were replaced with 2 sets of JL audio C5-650's along with a head unit transplant, but I was never quite happy with the sound of the silk dome tweeters that were part of the C5 package.

In looking for alternatives on eBay, I came across these, again by JL audio:

I was surprised by how much better they sounded than the silk dome tweeters: they have a much more crisp, clear sound, but not at all harsh.

Both sets of tweeters fit neatly into the stock location, although I did need to use the carcass of the stock tweeters to mount the C5 tweeters. All in all, well worth the $129.00.

Last edited by eight6; 02-25-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

Its not clear, which model # of the jl tweeters are the ones that you liked?

Did you have to modify the original carcass at all to make them fit?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Its not clear, which model # of the jl tweeters are the ones that you liked?

Did you have to modify the original carcass at all to make them fit?
You're right, I wasn't very clear.

The JL Audio Evolution ZR100-CT tweeters (these guys):

are far superior to the ones that came as part of the C5-650 component set from JL.

The stock tweeter carcass was modified to fit the tweeters that came with the C5 component set. They are .75" tweeters.

The ZR100-CT's are 1" and fit perfectly into the stock opening in the dash.

Hope that clears things up.

Last edited by eight6; 02-27-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Junkie

What modification(s) did it take?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
What modification(s) did it take?
I'm guessing you mean to the tweeter carcass?

If so, you first remove the tweeter/carcass unit from it's "tombstone". Then, from behind, you just pull out the stock tweeter from the carcass: a couple of tabs hold it in place. Once that's done, take an exacto knife and cut out the grille that's molded into the carcass, then carefully clean up the edges with a dremel tool. You might want to test fit a few times to avoid removing too much material with the dremel, otherwise the fit will be too loose.

The JL tweeter will just press into the carcass from the front. Connect the wiring (in this case, the tweeter is wired to the front speaker crossover) and re-install the tweeter into the stock location.

Took me about 40 minutes for the pair.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Junkie

Thank you for the details on mod'ing the tombstone, that was exactly what I was looking for
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

No problem. Good luck with the mods.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eight6
I know there have been numerous threads about speaker upgrades, etc., and I've learned quite a bit in reading through them.

I thought I'd give back a bit by adding a couple of pics of a recent tweeter upgrade I did. The stock speakers were replaced with 2 sets of JL audio C5-650's along with a head unit transplant, but I was never quite happy with the sound of the silk dome tweeters that were part of the C5 package.

In looking for alternatives on eBay, I came across these, again by JL audio:

I was surprised by how much better they sounded than the silk dome tweeters: they have a much more crisp, clear sound, but not at all harsh.

Both sets of tweeters fit neatly into the stock location, although I did need to use the carcass of the stock tweeters to mount the C5 tweeters. All in all, well worth the $129.00.
Nice. I have some Kenwood Excellon tweets laying around. Will see if they'll fit.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PANGMAN
Nice. I have some Kenwood Excellon tweets laying around. Will see if they'll fit.
If it's the eXcelon KFC-XT15ie's, they should fit perfectly. Pull out the stock tweeter and flip it back side facing you. Slide the eXcelon tweeter in between the tabs that hold the tweeter/carcass into the tombstone. Should give you a good idea of how tight the final fit will be. Looking at the pics, you might even be able to mount them behind the stock grille if you're into the stealthy look.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eight6

If it's the eXcelon KFC-XT15ie's, they should fit perfectly. Pull out the stock tweeter and flip it back side facing you. Slide the eXcelon tweeter in between the tabs that hold the tweeter/carcass into the tombstone. Should give you a good idea of how tight the final fit will be. Looking at the pics, you might even be able to mount them behind the stock grille if you're into the stealthy look.
Arrrgh I gave them to my cousin last year. Will have to buy some new ones. Hmmm something to run off the Kenwood head and reasonable priced?

Quick Reply: Tweeter upgrade (again)