Notices
Outdoor Sports General discussion forum for those of you interested in outdoor sports such as mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding, skiing, water skiing, ATV's etc.

Allen hitch mount bike rack question

Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Allen hitch mount bike rack question

If anybody has an Allen Deluxe 4 (or 5) Bike Hitch rack could you take a measurement for me? I want to know the distance from the back (Jeep side) of the vertical tube to the center of the hitch pin hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike rack-measurement.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	303055

(This is obviously not the Allen, just a pic I found at the right angle with a white background)

I haven't found a local place that stocks them and I'm trying to avoid having to send it back. It has decent reviews and is a good price. I think it'll clear my spare without an extension.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ended up emailing Allen customer service. They replied very quickly with a CAD drawing of a couple of the hitch mounts for thier racks. The dimension I was looking for on the 5 bike Deluxe (552RR) is 12.88". I measured the center of the pin on my Draw Tite hich to the outside of my spare at only 5 1/2". This rack has plenty of room for a larger spare tire. I'll probably pick one up and give it a shot. It's less than $100 on Amazon.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

I have a Allen 4 bike rack and it fits just fine mounted but I couldn't open the tail gate anymore with the rack installed. It wouldn't swing down far enough to clear the rack.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not too surprised about that. I guess the swing down feature is really made for liftgates. I'll mainly use it to take the bikes on vacation so I'll deal with it for the price.

Quick Reply: Allen hitch mount bike rack question