Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Arm vs. Short Arm lift kits

Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorblindspy
Thank you for the responses! I guess my next question would be, if I don't plan on going past 3" of lift (possibly 3.5 but most likely not), would i benefit getting a long arm kit for the daily driver or would I be ok with a short arm kit. I know you mentioned that this mainly benefits lifts from 4" up but I have no desire to go that big.

Again, thank you for your responses.
again, the JK's come with pretty long arms right from the factory and, if you're only going up to 3.5" of lift, i would stick with short arms. sure, you would feel benefits from long arms as a daily driver but, i don't know if i could say that the improvement at that small of a lift is enough to justify the cost. i mean if money is no object, sure, there are definitely 3" long arm kits out there but, if staying within a budget is necessary, i think you'll be quite happy with a good lift kits that comes complete with adjustable control arms and track bars to dial everything in.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something I didn't see mentioned in this very good discussion is the geometry approaching ledges. Long arm will have less stress on the suspension because it'll want to leverage the front wheels up and over the ledge vs. short arm where the front wheels will want to torque back under the Jeep. Just my observation and very humble but possibly wrong opinion - LA has some advantage wheeling too mostly in the taller 4"+ sizes for lift.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by BigMAK1
Something I didn't see mentioned in this very good discussion is the geometry approaching ledges. Long arm will have less stress on the suspension because it'll want to leverage the front wheels up and over the ledge vs. short arm where the front wheels will want to torque back under the Jeep. Just my observation and very humble but possibly wrong opinion - LA has some advantage wheeling too mostly in the taller 4"+ sizes for lift.
oh, it definitely has advantages and they will allow for more accurate articulation without sweeping. i was just pointing out that "most" of the benefits you will see will not necessarily be in flex or "crazy rock climbing" as had been suggested.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you're saying that you tested both with the exact same lift height and exact same shock length only one with aftermarket short arms with flexable joints and one with long arms and the later did better? i'd like to see the proof of this.

RTI scores are so completely relative and will vary GREATLY depending on lift height, shock length, tire size, wheel base, tire pressure, angle of ramp, whether you do it forward or backward and the accuracy of how it's done from one test to the other. to take someones word use it as some kind a guage to determine what does better is about as good as having someone flex out on a rock and say, "hey, it flexes great".

you're talking about articulation like it means something and then say you're running a kit that uses over priced relocation brackets in conjunction to factory arms as if it should be an example of what works well? LOL!!
I was merely attempting to share information. I thought that was what this site was about. But instead I get ridiculed and belittled for posting information that was provided to me by vendors - some of whom are sponsors on this forum. I made it very clear that the RTI scores were from vendors and not from me. I can only assume they took care to make the tests apples to apples.

And then came the inevitable attack because I mentioned that I run an AEV lift kit - which you hate. Yeap, got it. Heard it several times now. Why does the fact that you don't like it empower you to belittle and insult those of us who do happen to like the way it performs, on and off road? Shouldn't this forum be about exchanging information, ideas and opinions without the need to insult people? Is that really necessary? What did that accomplish???
Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Very interesting topic and very good information. I've been thinking on going to a LA setup and this definitely helps

One question: If for example I buy the Teraflex 4" LA control arms kit only and decide to go to a 6" lift springs and shocks later on(not sure why I would but just in case ), can I use the same control arms for this or would I have to get new ones too ?

Thx
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by therza
I was merely attempting to share information. I thought that was what this site was about.
no need to get all butthurt over nothing. your "information" was more of an opinion than anything but, nobody i know stopped you from sharing it.

But instead I get ridiculed and belittled for posting information that was provided to me by vendors - some of whom are sponsors on this forum. I made it very clear that the RTI scores were from vendors and not from me.
you can only be ridiculed if you talk like you know what you're talking about but clearly don't. as far as the information that was provided to you goes, you're the one who asked for it like it would actually mean something.

I can only assume they took care to make the tests apples to apples.
you're right, you can "only assume" and, that is why the opinions you've been pushing off as "information" is so wrong.

And then came the inevitable attack because I mentioned that I run an AEV lift kit - which you hate. Yeap, got it. Heard it several times now. Why does the fact that you don't like it empower you to belittle and insult those of us who do happen to like the way it performs, on and off road? Shouldn't this forum be about exchanging information, ideas and opinions without the need to insult people? Is that really necessary? What did that accomplish???
you'll forgive me but, i'm the one who posted up information, you just posted up misguided ideas and opinions based on assumptions. what it accomplished is that the OP and anyone else reading this thread will now know the difference. but hey, that's just me.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Verdulken
One question: If for example I buy the Teraflex 4" LA control arms kit only and decide to go to a 6" lift springs and shocks later on(not sure why I would but just in case ), can I use the same control arms for this or would I have to get new ones too ?

Thx
nope, the TF long arms are adjustable and can easily make up for the additional 2" of lift. having said that, i don't know if i'd recommend that much lift unless you're planning to run 40's.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Therza,

I'm sorry if you felt attacked by any of the threads posted. I truly do appreciate the personal experiences with these different lifts as this is my first jeep and will be lifting it for the first time. I just want to make sure I do it right the first time.

Regards

Last edited by Colorblindspy; 03-09-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

nope, the TF long arms are adjustable and can easily make up for the additional 2" of lift. having said that, i don't know if i'd recommend that much lift unless you're planning to run 40's.
Thx Eddie, I figured I really don't need 6" but wanted to check just in case somewhere in the very distant future (very distant ) I decide to run 40s

I have the EVO 4" springs now and 35s and I know is enough for up to 37s (which is what I want to get hopefully soon) but I want to go to a LA setup first

Thx
Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

no need to get all butthurt over nothing. your "information" was more of an opinion than anything but, nobody i know stopped you from sharing it.

you can only be ridiculed if you talk like you know what you're talking about but clearly don't. as far as the information that was provided to you goes, you're the one who asked for it like it would actually mean something.

you're right, you can "only assume" and, that is why the opinions you've been pushing off as "information" is so wrong.

you'll forgive me but, i'm the one who posted up information, you just posted up misguided ideas and opinions based on assumptions. what it accomplished is that the OP and anyone else reading this thread will now know the difference. but hey, that's just me.
I have no issues with anyone correcting anything I post or pointing out when I am in error. But its the way its done. It could have been done in a more neutral format. But you seem to get some pleasure out of ridiculing people. Its a pattern...............

Quick Reply: Long Arm vs. Short Arm lift kits