Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Arm vs. Short Arm lift kits

Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
well, truth be told, the EVO doubleD kit is considerably more expensive than the AEV 4.5" kit but honestly, it's worth every penny. in all fairness, i could say the same about most of the 4-link long arm kits out there but, EVO is what we prefer to run. the long arms will correct your suspension geometry front AND rear (AEV only addresses the front) and, the EVO draglink flip will do an outstanding job of correcting your steering geometry. basically, you get all the performance claims that AEV makes about their kit and much much more. and, you get the added benefit of having heavy duty adjustable control arms with joints that allow for greater bind free flex. with the exception of cost, it's a kit you can't go wrong with.
Thanks!

can you or EVO tell me if there are any major exhaust modifications required to install this on a 2012?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blown2tone
Thanks!

can you or EVO tell me if there are any major exhaust modifications required to install this on a 2012?
funny you should ask - we are getting their long arm kit installed on our 2012 and, haven't gotten that far yet. we should have a better idea of what if anything needs to be done next week. here are some pics of work in progress - as you can see, we're also getting their new bolt on coil over system installed and so, we went with the high clearance brackets (something you can upgrade to from a doubleD for free if you go coil overs someday)

shot of the rear all linked up and showing just how much clearance you get with the EVO high clearance long arm brackets...

Shot of the front linked up showing how awesome the clearance is up front as well...

Some finished pics of the front axle completed with C2 Gussets and an EVO draglink flip kit installed...

Old 03-09-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Super Freak

i think you misunderstood my intent, i used that emoticon to show that i was actually LAUGHING AT YOU for being so sensitive - there was nothing passive about it and unlike before, i was purposefully trying ridicule you through sarcasm. i won't lie, it's difficult for me to have any respect for a grown man who chooses to get their toes stepped on so easily but hey, that's just me.

i will say however that my well wishes for you to have a great weekend were sincere. try to lighten up and try not take yourself so seriously.
Omg, there is never a moderator around when you need one!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

funny you should ask - we are getting their long arm kit installed on our 2012 and, haven't gotten that far yet. we should have a better idea of what if anything needs to be done next week. here are some pics of work in progress - as you can see, we're also getting their new bolt on coil over system installed and so, we went with the high clearance brackets (something you can upgrade to from a doubleD for free if you go coil overs someday)

shot of the rear all linked up and showing just how much clearance you get with the EVO high clearance long arm brackets...
Do you upgrade for free later by modifying the same brackets? I think I’ll head to Moab stock the end of the month while I watch your build & get together my mod list/order for when I get back!!

Awesome to be able to learn by following your updates!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blown2tone
Do you upgrade for free later by modifying the same brackets? I think I’ll head to Moab stock the end of the month while I watch your build & get together my mod list/order for when I get back!!

Awesome to be able to learn by following your updates!!!
it's mainly the rear frame brackets that get replaced. you can only install them if you get an EVO coil over system installed.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

sensitive grown men are these days.
Who says were all grown up???????? Don't we like playing with our jeep toys
Old 03-10-2012, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

I'm certainly no expert on this topic as it applies to the JK although from my other experiences with longer arms and 4 link suspensions it is what it does for instant center and keeping a vehicle planted. Squat, anti-squat, instant center, dive and anti-dive can all be part of having better off-road performance, and I've seen enough evidence of poorly implemented 4 link suspensions putting people in harms way. Instant center can play a huge role in traction upon acceleration or braking while minimizing the chance of rollover.

I haven't looked at any of the kits available to see how they actually change suspension geometry, but the tools are certainly there for not only better on road performance but off road as well.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

what??? you don't like me much today??? well now i'm hurt

BTW, just took this shot out my window...

Looks like Northern Afghanistan. Weird.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the pics posted by Wayoflife I have a question on Long Arm weld / mount locations. It seems like this is something the installer has one shot at getting right. How often will a hole be drilled or weld added in an off location? Is it correctable or is the frame now shot? Seems like the installation comes with risks.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Any thoughts about EVO 4" vs Clayton 4.5"?

Any thoughts about EVO 4" vs Clayton 4.5" kits?

Quick Reply: Long Arm vs. Short Arm lift kits