Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swaybar disconnect needed?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swaybar disconnect needed?

I am about to install a 3" suspension lift (coil springs w/ gas shocks). I currently run stock 32" tires (will be adding either a 1.5 or 2" spacer), and will be for about another year. At that time I will be upgrading to 35" tires. The off roading that I do is mainly sand, mud, and water. The lift kit that I bought moves the rear swaybar link to the front. At what point would I need a disconnect?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I diconnect anytime I'm off road. More traction and smoother ride, air down too. You won't want spacers, cause you'll need new driveshafts with that much lift
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what he said.

i manually disconnected for a year or so and when i bought the jks disconnects, aw man... well i fell in love

The Reason Why You Disconnect Your Front Sway Bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqzrOqF3dI
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

First, are you adding wheel spacers or coil spring spacers? If coil spring spacers start shopping for drive shafts. If wheel spacers make sure to get locktite and a torque wrench. Harbor frieght has one hat you can get for $10 if you can track down a coupon. It is adequate.

The truth is that you never NEED to disconnect. It does have advantages though. It allows each wheel to droop further. This can allow each tire to maintain better contact with the ground over rough or uneven terrain. Greater axle travel can also help the body maintain a more level stance while the axles articulate underneath. This can be much more comfortable for passengers. The droop can also test the flexibility of your driveshaft joints; sometimes destroying them.
My thought is that if you are staying on surfaces that don't challenge the end range of your articulation, like big rocks or washouts, then disconnecting may be less of a benefit from yummy individually.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

For YOU individually! Damn autocorrect POS! haha
Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Looking at wheel spacers (being told that I have to have them due to the lift). What would it need to be torqued to?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm about to buy the spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers and I have read everything I could find on them. The torque specs are included in the installation instructions. I don't know what they are off the top of my head. The big thing is that wheel spacers have the inherent risk of being another set of nuts that can work loose. Since they are behind the tire it is not obvious until late in the game. There are scary stories about some people's wheels coming off while at highway speeds. These stories are rare but can be disastrous.
According to my research people have great luck with the spidertrax spacer when they use the correct torque, use a threadlocker, and recheck their torque every few hundred miles until it is obvious that the inner set of lugs are holding tight. After that I have heard that rechecking every 3k miles should keep you and your rig nice and safe.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 ft lbs

10characters

Quick Reply: Swaybar disconnect needed?