Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas tank overflows while pumping with automatic gas pump nozzle?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank overflows while pumping with automatic gas pump nozzle?

Is anyone out there having the trouble I am while filling their gas tanks up using the automatic feature on most typical gas pumps out west. I know back in the northeast they no longer have this feature, where you can put the gas pump nozzle in your gas tank inlet, squeeze the trigger and then set it to automatically shut off when your tank is full. What happens is that it starts overflowing a bit of gas out of your tank before it shuts off. This only started happening recently, in the last month, but I'm sick of wasting and smelling of gas while at the pump. Any suggestions? I've tried doing it manually and it also happens a bit.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is common with the JK. Mine does it, but I haven't had a chance to take it in. I've heard they replace the tank for this issue.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Its common and although I havent taken mine in yet, it does do the overflow on occasion. Several people on the forum have taken it in to get replaced and I even read one actual post of the TSP a while back. But yes, you can take it to the dealership to get fixed.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Happens to a lot of people, nothing new. I live in jersey, so its still full service....that being said, I avoid saying "fill it up" and say a fixed $ amount that i know won't fill it.... overflow diverted.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Happens to a lot of people, nothing new. I live in jersey, so its still full service....that being said, I avoid saying "fill it up" and say a fixed $ amount that i know won't fill it.... overflow diverted.
^ x2 , annoying, but not annoying enough to drop it off at the dealership for undetermined period of time....
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I filled my used 2008 JK (about a year ago) I got splashed with gas. I took it in and the dealership replaced the tank under a recall. What year JK do you have?
The following users liked this post:
nicknave28 (07-14-2022)
Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

It started happening to my 2008 about 3 months ago. It started as a slight spit up and the last time I was washing my windshield and looked back to see fuel spraying 10 feet in the air non stop until I killed it.

I am out of warranty at this point.

I took my JK in to get the transmission cooler lines replaced due to a slight leak, which they covered under a TSB extended warranty due to this common occurence, and I told him about my gas tank issue. The service guy said no problem, we will order and install a new gas tank for free also, that is common. I go back in for service on this in a couple weeks, and he said it should only take a couple hours...unless you have a lot of additional belly armor.

....I was fully expecting a heated debate over the cost of this repair and was pleasantly suprised to have both issues covered no sweat.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Regardless if you have a warranty or not the dealership will replace your tank at no charge.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Mine doesn't overflow but instead it 'pukes'. I learned to fill on the slow setting with the nozzle jamed as far down the filler throat as possible and it solves the problem.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeep Unlimited
Mine doesn't overflow but instead it 'pukes'. I learned to fill on the slow setting with the nozzle jamed as far down the filler throat as possible and it solves the problem.
That works for me too.

Why is the auto setting being removed in the east?

Quick Reply: Gas tank overflows while pumping with automatic gas pump nozzle?