Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Shotgun defense storage

Old 03-13-2012, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shotgun defense storage

For those using the shotgun for home defense, where do you keep it to make sure you can get to it quickly when needed?

Pistol seems easier, but would also like to hear suggestions.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

we got a small walk in closet in bedroom... mounted the shotgun to wall behind hanging clothes... out of sight, easy access.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At night, just sleep with it - no not like that.

And don't leave one in the chamber.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:07 PM
jdk
JK Freak

Leaning against the wall behind the night stand, it is a sawed off so it fits well.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrDillClinton
At night, just sleep with it - no not like that.

And don't leave one in the chamber.
This i can agree with. I have a m4 variant rifle in a gun sock at the head of my side of the bed right up against the wall. Charging handle back, ready to go. Note, I never have kids, or pets around. Mag is always separate, and usually just under the mattress.

Before I had the ar it was a 12 gauge, same spot, same setup. If i work nights, it moves to the girls side of the bed just for quick access. Also handy is a knife and pepper spray, just in case. I am a little paranoid i guess

Looks like you are also in CA so scratch the ar, you guys have some funky laws about that type of stuff
Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Loaded not chambered in the closet works for me. Look up Shotlock dot com they make a great locking sleeve that covers the trigger and receiver but releases easily for deployment with a combo type lock.

Jer
Old 03-14-2012, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Got this off a gun forum a few years back and it works great-

Two of those plastic covered screw in hooks of a larger size screwed into studs inside my bedroom closet above the door. Open the door, reach up, grab shotgun.
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-piec...set-67587.html

It's loaded. Not giving someone any time longer than it takes me to push the safety off.

Oh, pistol is easier but not a fight stopper. Better than a rock or a stick but a pistol is just for fighting your way back to your long arm.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:35 AM
JK Freak

Have the AR and the pistols under the bed loaded but locked in a case. The Shotgun is in a Vline shotgun safe mounted vertically on the wall by my nightstand - loaded and ready to go.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560

This i can agree with. I have a m4 variant rifle in a gun sock at the head of my side of the bed right up against the wall. Charging handle back, ready to go. Note, I never have kids, or pets around. Mag is always separate, and usually just under the mattress.

Before I had the ar it was a 12 gauge, same spot, same setup. If i work nights, it moves to the girls side of the bed just for quick access. Also handy is a knife and pepper spray, just in case. I am a little paranoid i guess

Looks like you are also in CA so scratch the ar, you guys have some funky laws about that type of stuff
You shouldn't store an AR type rifle with the bolt locked back to the rear (if that's what you meant by Charging handle back).
Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

People, you all are maniacs .... Looks like you live in civil war time. Don't you use some claimors around your house? Being prepared is the best safety, but to sleep with a gun.....

Quick Reply: Shotgun defense storage