Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jk brakes heating up randomley

Old 03-16-2012, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jk brakes heating up randomley

Got an 08 JK brake problem. The brakes heat up randomly, we drove 20 miles to a store and the back left rim and rotor were so smoking hot, drove home and the front right was warm and back left was smoking hot! Any ideas??
Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Must be the pad staying in contact with the rotor. Probably either the caliper is sticking, or is ceased. lift the wheel off the ground and give it a spin and find out what is rubbing and why.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

I lifted the rear and could hand turn the wheels but noticed the RR was draging, so i pried the cylinder away with somwhat of ease. That worked for a minute then the other side tightend after a short drive. Could this be something electronic as to why they all drag randomly??
Old 03-16-2012, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is brake light on the dash staying lit?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

NOPE, There are no warning lights on. I'm going to google this, but does anyone know how to disable the ESP system...the book procedure does not work.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same happened to my 08, when I took it to thedealer they said it was a bad brake caliper and replaced the whole thing. Mine was the rear driver side. Had a lot of smoke coming out aster I drove maybe 10 miles

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Air in the brake lines can also do that as the air expands when hot, therefore applying more pressure than it normally would.

Are your brakes working normally? The only symptom of abnormality is the excessive heat?

If you have experience bleed the lines to make sure there's no air.

Also check if the pistons that move the calipers are seizing, but I seems you already did that.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 AM
JK Newbie

I disabled the ESP, now the brakes work fine no rubbing and heating up. I knew it was something electronic because there wasn't a consistant wheel hanging up. They all heated up but not at the same time. Please if someone has had this problem and/or knows what causes this, ie speed sensor etc. let me know.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 AM
JK Freak

Maybe referred to already but pull your ABS fuse, might be a faulty sensor
Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tanman823
Same happened to my 08, when I took it to thedealer they said it was a bad brake caliper and replaced the whole thing. Mine was the rear driver side. Had a lot of smoke coming out aster I drove maybe 10 miles

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I had the exact same problem. 09 drivers side rear caliper. I had 2 other brakes dragging, but dealer said 1 bad caliper messes with the system and made the others rub.

Quick Reply: Jk brakes heating up randomley