Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Hi-lift jack

Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi-lift jack

I've tried searching but my iPhone app keeps giving me a parse error enough times that I'm tempted to smash it but instead I decided to ask.

While changing a tire (with 1700 mi and sidewall damage, grrr) I did a quick check to make sure I was doing it right and came across some posts about the scissor jack being insufficient for jacking larger tires to do a simple tire swap and that a hi-lift was needed. It was then pointed out that the scissor is preferred for tire changes if used properly.

This brought up questions in my mind. What is the hi-lift used for then? I've seen videos and instructions on using it as a winch, not efficient but effective if it is your only option. Also I've read that you can use it to get unstuck but I'm interested in what situations you would use it for.

Could anyone with the knowledge share techniques and situations that it is beneficial to use a hi-lift and why I should have one.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi lifts are used to lift vehicles with big lifts and tires where as you pointed out the stock jack might not cut it. They also have other uses like you said, winch, people can change tires with them (popping the bead). If you are stuck then you can use them to lift the tires up and stuff things like rocks or tree branches to get better traction and clearance. I have one but do not carry it with me 100% of the time only when I go camping or Moab. Be careful using them as they are dangerous and vehicle stability is compromised. Good luck
Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mstrofpuppets
If you are stuck then you can use them to lift the tires up and stuff things like rocks or tree branches to get better traction and clearance.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I was wondering what you did once it was up and unstuck. The other posts have good stuff too. Maybe this could be a good thread to post interesting stories about how it saved your day.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keithvegas

This makes a lot of sense to me. I was wondering what you did once it was up and unstuck. The other posts have good stuff too. Maybe this could be a good thread to post interesting stories about how it saved your day.
Or other peoples day. Seen it used to lift a 4 vehicle car hauler loaded to change flat on trailer
Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Yeah that may be a good idea to have a list of uses. In my opinion keep your jack clean and out of the elements. They will rust if left out. I would stay away from the mounts that mount it outside of your vehicle as a permanent mount.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keithvegas

Or other peoples day. Seen it used to lift a 4 vehicle car hauler loaded to change flat on trailer
Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

I heard of people using them as a come-a-long in emergency's.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just be very careful when using them as a regular jack, they are pretty unstable
Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi-Lifts are a MUST!!!!

Other than lifting my jeep to get un -stuck I used mine to bend back a bent bead lock rim.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

It should really be called a tool than a jack.
It also makes a nice clamp or press. Used the handle one time to support a broken trackbar. It broke, we welded it together, slid pipe/handle over it, drove back to camp.
There really is a thousand uses!

Quick Reply: Hi-lift jack