Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wipers Turn On At Random (2012)

Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers Turn On At Random (2012)

I have a 2012 JKU Sport that has been into my local Jeep Dealership 2-3 times with the request to fix (under warranty) my wipers from randomly turning on when I turn, when I am driving straight, when it is sunny, etc. They work fine when I need them, but I am tired of having them on when the sun is out. The service department has attempted to "reproduce the issue" with no luck and so they say they can't trouble shoot it to find the cause. They will not just begin replacing items (under warranty) to see if they can get it to correct the problem.

The most recent time that I asked and set up another appointment for someone to look into this,I was told there were other jeeps in the shop currently with the same problem and no cure has been determined.

Has anyone else had this problem, but more importantly, has anyone had this properly diagnosed and cured? Please help.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a random wiper activation before. Turned out to be a loose ground strap. Seems odd that they activate when turning. Maybe there is a loose wire in the steering column that makes contact when the wheel turns. Electrical gremlins are the worst. Good luck !
Old 06-19-2013, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its not just when turning...I can't seem to get it to replicate because it is so random. At one point I went a month with nothing. Other times, it won't stop.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

Somebody told me they had sort of the same thing when they keyed their CB. Something about tapping into power under the dash for the CB confusing the canbus making the wipers come on.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
Somebody told me they had sort of the same thing when they keyed their CB. Something about tapping into power under the dash for the CB confusing the canbus making the wipers come on.
Nothing has been added electrically. All is still stock. Very confusing.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same issue, but mine come on randomly when I turn my blinkers on. It's getting worse though. Taking to the shop next week. I'll let you know what they tell me. My problem is the exact same as yours.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 PM
JK Freak

Car at dealer. They couldn't reproduce it while their "auto pilot" machine was plugged in. Technician driving jeep home tonight. It happens 2-3 times a day now. I told him that I wasn't going to bring the car back and forth two or three times for this. He said that they were trying to figure out which part was broken. I'll post more tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Dealer couldn't reproduce so they didn't do anything. Happened again within 20 minutes of leaving dealership. Owner is a friend of mine so I called him and he said they would replace the switch and go from there. I'll update after I have that done.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine come one from time to time when I key my CB. Also noticed if you have both cigarette plugs in use ( charging phones ) it randomly does it too.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the update. Seems like mine has stopped doing it for a bit. Nothing has been changed on the jeep. Still can't determine anything as a triggering item. Good to know the owner of the dealership. Keep me posted.

Quick Reply: Wipers Turn On At Random (2012)