Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

D-Box5 Reverse Lights question (Aux and Auto turn on)

Old 04-21-2015, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D-Box5 Reverse Lights question (Aux and Auto turn on)

OK, so this is my first post for help. I've researched this, and have read more posts than you can imagine Which has all but confused me. SO here's my specific wiring question. I have a D-box5 installed with an open slot. I am installing a LOD rear bumper hopefully tomorrow, that have the Rigid diffused flush lights in the bumper. I planned on wiring the reverse lights with a jumper to the white/gray wire, that I jumped to automatically turn my Raxiom Reverse Cam on. OK, easy enough. Then I thought I'd like the option of turning the reverse lights on with an open switch in my A pillar already hooked up to the DBox. Then in all my post research there was concern for "feedback". And the solution with schematics was to install 1 or 2 relays in between to prevent this. But the DBOX has relays in it? Does anyone know if I could run the powered switch from my DBox to the power on the Rigids, and splice a jumper into the reverse wire so they com on all the time in reverse, with the option of switching when I want too, or do I have to add another relay?

Ugghhhh...thanks so much....
Old 04-21-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how much help this will be, but I just installed my ACE rear bumper with led's and I installed them with a 3 way harness. The switch has 3 positions, Auto/On/Off, I used a Rigid harness and It only uses one relay, and the wire that tapes into the reverse wire goes into the switch. I think the key is you will just need a 3 way switch to use with your current set up.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response, but not much. I have a 2-way toggle in my rugged ridge a-pillar open, hooked up to my DBOX-5, so trying to keep it clean and installed there. If need be, I'll skip the hot wire for manual on if I have too, and have them just come on in reverse, and wire something later, but mostly want to know if I'll get "feedback" if I do it simple with the Dbox, and wired into the reverse wire?

Thanks again...
Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you talking about radio "feedback" when they are turned on?, Cause if thats what your are talking about then yea I do get some "feedback" when they click on but it doesn't really bother me since its only for a few secs when in reverse.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

No, like electrical back feed is what the other descriptions were in the other posts, if that makes sense, like when your genny is running and if no safety breaker and our power comes back on you could back feed the system, in theory
Old 04-22-2015, 02:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is how I would do it. One simple jumper wire with a diode. If you don't use the diode, then when you turn the lights on with the switch it will "back feed" the reverse lights, meaning they will also turn on with the switch, potentially killing your battery if you use the lights without the vehicle running. I am not familiar with the D-box.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverse lights - Diode sPod.jpg
Views:	45836
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	607572  

Last edited by 14Sport; 04-22-2015 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure what kind of switch you have in your switch panel but you could install a SPDT switch (on-off-on) like this
Surf N Turf Rocker Switches - Lighted Rocker Switch

The top "on" position would be powered from whatever is already powering the switches in your switch panel, and the bottom "on" position would be powered from your reverse circuit. This way you can have the back lights on whenever you want, or only when in reverse, or off altogether.

You'd want the switch to be wired to a relay, which then powers the LEDs.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback...no pun intended. The Dbox is basically the same thing as an Spod, just $400 less. I see you have the diode stopping current from coming back, and I was hoping that the relay in the Dbox would prevent that, I might just hook the Rigids up to the reverse lights, and add the Rigid flood lights atop of the tail lights on a switch for additional light if need be. Does anyone see a problem with tapping power from the revers wire, which if I remember from hooking up my reverse cam is white/gray stripe, to turn on the bumper lights, or does the CanBus get f'd up?

Sorry about all the Rookie questions, I've had a ton of jeeps, and have wired everything else up, but after looking at so many diagrams and opinions, and feedback, I got concerned....so thanks again for all the input, love this forum.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The reverse wire is not a canbus wire. As long as the lights don't pull too much draw you should be fine. I have reverse bumper lights pigtailed to my tail lights with no problems.

Unfortunately the relay won't block the back feed because if you look at the schematic, it is basically connected directly to the power wire for the control circuit. So when you hit the switch, it also feeds directly to the reverse lights.

If you look at this post https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...2/#post4052892 you will see the wires for the reverse lights. Depending on where you tap them, they will be white/green or white/gray. That's the passenger side, not sure on the driver side but they are easy to trace when the tail light assembly is removed.

Quick Reply: D-Box5 Reverse Lights question (Aux and Auto turn on)