Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig Gracenotes Update v4620 US/Canada/Mexico

Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MyGig Gracenotes Update v4620 US/Canada/Mexico

The new Gracenotes update is available for MyGig owners for the 2007-2010 JK (and other Chrysler owners) for US/Canada/Mexico only. This will not work on the 2011+ models! (The radios are completely different)

What is Gracenotes you ask.... Well Gracenotes is the on-board software running on the MyGig that correctly displays the Artist and Title of retail CD's. If you do not have a current version on you MyGig unit the screen will just display Track 1, Track 2, etc.

You can check your Gracenotes Database version by following these instructions:
Press the Menu button on the right side of the radio.
Press the System Setup on screen button.
Press the System Information on screen button.

The update is much larger file than the Operating System software so you are required to burn this to a DVD (a burnable CD will NOT work)

Now the Gracenotes update is VERY PICKY for some reason. In the past versions it been tough to get the raw files to burn to a disc that the MyGig recognizes. So I will recommend Roxio or NCH disc burning software to write the discs. (I have had no luck with NERO at all)

How do you know if you have a unusable DVD? After installing the DVD the screen will just say DATA for 5 minutes or more and never begin the install.

No matter what current version of the Gracenotes software you have on the MyGig at this time this version will over write it so there is no need to update in steps.

I have verified it burns fine and with Roxio or Express Burn Disc Burning Software by NCH. (Please do not use the standard burning software that came with your operating system. Very rarely will you get a successful burn.)

I have installed and verified operation with the Lockpick installed.

download the raw files here

http://www.mydrive.ch/
username: mygig@soxag
password: gasolio

go to software updates - gracenotes update

Raw File Instructions:

Unzip the files to your Hard drive and burn them to a DVD data disc:

When you burn the DVD it is recommended that you burn at 2x or 4x speed and make sure that multisession recording is disabled. (The Add More Files Later Option) DVD+R, DVD-R, or Dual Layer DVDs are acceptable.

1. For Version 4620 (US/CA/MX) - Name the CD to GN_4620 when burning it. (Recommended)
2. The DVD Root directory MUST contain only one (1) folder and one (1) file.. The root DVD directory structure is as follows:

GNDB (Folder)
gnupdate (File)

Once the disc is burned with the method above.......

Do not attempt to install WITHOUT THE MOTOR RUNNING! (since this file is very large it can take up to 40 minutes to install!) If the MyGig looses power at anytime during the install you can forget about the MyGig ever working again!

It is VERY IMPORTANT to read the following instructions before you attempt to install. Failure to read could turn your pretty MyGig into a useless brick!

http://mofv.com/MyGIG/GraceNotesInst.htm

What ever you do do NOT remove the disc till the MyGig asks you to install the software a second time! This is the equivalent of the "Your installation is complete" window. Then you simply click "NO" then you can eject the disc.

Gracenotes versions in the order of release from newest to oldest

4620 = March 2012
3373 = February 2011
2057 = December 2009
1287 = March 2009
1120 = October 2008
881 = February 2008

Last edited by whpony96; 04-08-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Junkie

I don't have a MAC but these are the instructions I received from a fellow member of JK forum.

For MAC's only!

Make sure to rename the disk to whatever the update is!!

when I downloaded the files whpony96 provided.. one of them was missing the version number. it needs to be like this for the System update =
RER_2.403
and this for the Gracenote update=
Gracenote

so again to recap

To update the navigation operating system you will need to download this file
http://www.mydrive.ch/
username: mygig@soxag
password: gasolio

go to software updates - gracenotes update or RER 2.403 Update

1- Unzip it
2- you will see a folder. make sure that the folder title is RER_2.403 and that there are 2 files and 1 folder inside that "RER_2.403" folder.
3- Insert a CD
4- (Mac users only!) right click the RER_2.403 folder
5- you will see Burn "RER_2.403" to a disk. click it
6- double check the CD name. again make sure it's RER_2.403 or it will not run on your nav.
7- select the slowest speed to burn.
8- wait for it to finish.
9- start your Jeep and wait for the Mygig to load.
10- insert CD
11- wait for the screen to load. then select update.
12- DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING! DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR JEEP! let it install and then once it's done it will restart.
13- Mygig will bring you back to that same screen you were prompt in step 11. at that point you can eject the CD and shut off your Jeep

same case with the Gracenotes

if you are updating your maps (you have to pay $215 for this)

it will take an hour and also you don't have to keep the Jeep on. you can let it download while on ignition.

Last edited by whpony96; 04-08-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running OS version 2.402 on my '08 JKU but am still running the original gracenotes 881. Do I need to update to 2.403 first and can i just go to the latest gracenotes update or do I need to go thru all of them in order?
Thanks for all you do for us here on the forum!!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DrJeepStr
I'm running OS version 2.402 on my '08 JKU but am still running the original gracenotes 881. Do I need to update to 2.403 first and can i just go to the latest gracenotes update or do I need to go thru all of them in order?
Thanks for all you do for us here on the forum!!
In your case all you have to do is load straight to the version you want no need to update in steps.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 8 gig rer system and have a question, is it spot ossicle to download the hard drive to a jump drive.
After having the system for over 2 years with countless uploads, I would love to do some cleanup of files, fix file names and nameless tracks and so forth.
Does anyone know if this is possible?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zinfman
I have an 8 gig rer system and have a question, is it spot ossicle to download the hard drive to a jump drive.
After having the system for over 2 years with countless uploads, I would love to do some cleanup of files, fix file names and nameless tracks and so forth.
Does anyone know if this is possible?
There is only one way you can transfer music files off of a mygig. That is using the Starscan tool at the dealership. (And it wont be free either, if they will even do it.)

The best option is to just delete the music and reload from a flash drive.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
There is only one way you can transfer music files off of a mygig. That is using the Starscan tool at the dealership. (And it wont be free either, if they will even do it.)

The best option is to just delete the music and reload from a flash drive.
LOL! I was afraid that would be the answer!
How about another question...does Grace note require a certain ammount for free space on the hard drive to be effective?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zinfman
LOL! I was afraid that would be the answer!
How about another question...does Grace note require a certain ammount for free space on the hard drive to be effective?
Nope the space for the update does not effect the available space for music storage.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default having some trouble with 2.403 RER

Hey i'm having trouble with the 2.403 update, GN installed fine. I'm using nti to burn the iso but the disk is not working. I think it's because it will not let me adjust the name of the cd when I burn an iso file. Any thoughts on this or do you knoe how to change the name of the cd label when burning an iso?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to clarify, the gracenotes update displays artist & track names when playing CDs instead of generic "Track 1, track 2, etc"... correct?

That being said, who uses CDs anymore?? Seriously.

Quick Reply: MyGig Gracenotes Update v4620 US/Canada/Mexico