Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going back to dealer today per service manager request who is having the shop foreman take a listen, mine ticks constantly and increases and decreases with RPMs, should be interesting!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vulcan classic
Going back to dealer today per service manager request who is having the shop foreman take a listen, mine ticks constantly and increases and decreases with RPMs, should be interesting!
I took mine in and they replaced the lifters and it made the same ticking noise after and the tech said it was normal. Took it back in a couple days later and the senior tech said there may be a issue still but couldn't look at it that day so he asked me to bring it back and drop it off so they could look into it more. He did say mine is the first wrangler that has been brought back with complaints of ticking. Hopefully I can get it back in sometime this week and they can fix the problem this will be the 6th time its been in the shop for repair since I bought it in Nov 2nd time for the ticking
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Forma
has anyone taken in there jeep with this issue with mods on there jeep? I mean the ticking isn't in relation to something you did, but bigger wheels and tires will put stress on the motor. And could cause the delearship to say that it was something you did
Yup. No problem. Replaced the drivers side head over a week ago. No issues and good to go I am fully modded from head to toe.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

So service manager and senior shop tech both agreed mine is significant. They compared to two stock 2012s on the lot. All making some tick at cold start but then gets quiet at idol; mine was loudest, he used a stethoscope to try to locate the noise. Manager asked me to let them to do some research and contact STAR service for follow up and would get back to me in a few days and open a case file if necessary so I guess I'll have to play along, no mention about all my mods so far, 3" lift, 35's, bumper, winch, LCAs, etc
Old 05-07-2012, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jim hensley

Yup. No problem. Replaced the drivers side head over a week ago. No issues and good to go I am fully modded from head to toe.
Hey Jim

Didn't you wheel with us at Shoe Creek in Feb?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by vulcan classic

Hey Jim

Didn't you wheel with us at Shoe Creek in Feb?
Glad to here your problem resolved I'm still playin with the dealership
Old 05-07-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure what to think about this, mine ticks constantly. Ill post a video of it so you guys can compare. I hear the tick while outside the jeep but not while sitting in it...
Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

So far so good on mine. First oil change done at my request by dealer at 500 miles-I always change at 500 on a new motor to make sure all build debris is cleaned out. No issues on mine in the first 1000 miles. Great motor and transmission when compared to the 3.8 in my former JK ('10 JKU Sahara)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sprocket
My Jeep goes in today. Haven't had a CEL but the service manager even said, "that's loud" referring to the ticking noise. I told him it didn't make the noise when it was new and only recently started doing it. He had heard of the problem but said this was the first one that he has actually seen and heard.. I'll keep you posted. I really hope it's painless and fast. I'm going to miss my Jeep.... BTW 12000 miles, build date of 9-10-11.
Update:

Ticking Jeep still in shop

Day two:
Received a call and the shop is replacing all of the tappets/lifters. Parts should be in tomorrow.

Last edited by Sprocket; 05-08-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I forgot to post what the tech said about my head replacement. Here is what he said......

"Customer states vehicle makes loud ticking noise : check and advise

Verified customer concern and found tick on drivers side. Isolated noise under valve cover and contacted Star center and was advised to remove valve cover and inspect lifters.

Removed intake, valve cover and camshafts. Found spongy lifter and others were LOOSE in the bore.

Measured bore and submitted data to Chysler and was advised to replace head and lifter.

Opted to replace ALL lifters in case of unidentified failure.

Replaced head, lifters and re-installed all removed components.

Test drove and no tick was heard. Vehicle drove good"

I like the fact the mechanic opted to replace ALL the lifters and not just one!
Hopefully this little bit of information will help others if and when they have theirs worked on for reference.

All is still well with mine except a slight oil burning smell I can't find. Have degreased and degreased till I am blue in the face. Everything is dry but can't figure out where the burning oil smell is coming from, nor can the dealership.

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines