Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprocket
They replaced my lifters.. Took 5 days in shop. It didn't fix anything.. Still ticks maybe even louder.
took my jeep to the stealership and they said it was supposed to tick? they told me to lay off the computer....they have 8 level 4 mechanics working for them that know what there doing even after starting other jeeps up to compare......i guess i will just wait it out until there is a solution to the problem
Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Could this be a problem for engine reliability in the long term if its not fixed? Because i dont know if its THE tick or just normal valvetrain tickling
Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked mine up on 10/20/11. It has 12,000 miles on it. I've done two oil changes myself. One at 1,500. One at 8,000. Mobil 1 w/ Mopar filter.

I have heard lifters clatter on start up once in a while, but it's always gone by the time I notice.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrubcon
Does anyone here know if computer codes are date stamped? Do they know the date the code was thrown?
Bump........
Old 05-16-2012, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slappygoeshome
took my jeep to the stealership and they said it was supposed to tick? they told me to lay off the computer....they have 8 level 4 mechanics working for them that know what there doing even after starting other jeeps up to compare......i guess i will just wait it out until there is a solution to the problem
4 dealers in the state of Arkansas I took mine too. 2 said it was normal for it to be ticking and 2 did not! After the head replacement, I went back to one of the dealers that said it was normal. HA!! he remembered me fo sho, I made a scene the first time I went to them for the ticking and he couldn't forget me after that! Anyway, I said to him...."Guess that ticking was normal huh?" Amazing it doesn't tick after having the HEAD REPLACED! He couldn't say much and had to agree it isn't normal for them to TICK after listening to how quiet it is now. Even showed him the repair order for proof!

I wish I could save everyone the dispair and trouble by showing and letting every dealership listen to my jeep BEFORE AND AFTER the head replacement and PROVE to them..."IT IS NOT NORMAL TO TICK like so many are!!"
Old 05-17-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Update:

Well picked mine up yesterday after lifters were replaced driver side only, yep, still ticking! I had conversation with service manager and lead technician who both seem to agree it is likely the head, duh!

Both mentioned the heads are restricted so if they ordered and replace they would not be reimbursed by Chrysler unless replacement gets approved.

They are updating my STAR case file to record that lifter replacement did not correct the ticking issue and I spoke with my case manager from STAR and he says it's going to be further evaluated by tech services people.

Sound familiar? !!!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

They mentioned also the head replacement is $1500-1700 repair, (head assembly retails for $480-500 on MOPAR web sites so most is labor costs)
Old 05-17-2012, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vulcan classic
Update:

Well picked mine up yesterday after lifters were replaced driver side only, yep, still ticking! I had conversation with service manager and lead technician who both seem to agree it is likely the head, duh!

Both mentioned the heads are restricted so if they ordered and replace they would not be reimbursed by Chrysler unless replacement gets approved.

They are updating my STAR case file to record that lifter replacement did not correct the ticking issue and I spoke with my case manager from STAR and he says it's going to be further evaluated by tech services people.

Sound familiar? !!!!!!
I just got my head on order waiting for parts to come in. The tech pretty much told me the same thing abut STAR having to give approval to replace the head. The tech told me he was emailing and calling STAR all day to finally get approval and this is the 3rd time I took it in. They replaced lifters and phasers 1st time 2nd time they just did a bunch of tests and reported findings back toSTAR and they said everything was good. 3rd time dealer convinced STAR to replace heads. I am starting to think its not the dealer or service techs that are stoping heads from getting replaced its STAR
Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ncbmx64
I just got my head on order waiting for parts to come in. The tech pretty much told me the same thing abut STAR having to give approval to replace the head. The tech told me he was emailing and calling STAR all day to finally get approval and this is the 3rd time I took it in. They replaced lifters and phasers 1st time 2nd time they just did a bunch of tests and reported findings back toSTAR and they said everything was good. 3rd time dealer convinced STAR to replace heads. I am starting to think its not the dealer or service techs that are stoping heads from getting replaced its STAR
This is typical for a manufacturer... believe it when I say Chrysler execs and STAR are watching the inventory and costs to replace these parts in the field. They call it Manual Allocation MA to assure they don't go Stock Out... if they go SO they could very well have a mass buy back and recall problem on their hands.

Last edited by m998dna; 05-17-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m998dna
This is typical for a manufacturer... believe it when I say Chrysler execs and STAR are watching the inventory and costs to replace these parts in the field. The call it Manual Allocation MA to assure they don't go Stock Out... if they go SO they could very well have a mass buy back and recall problem on their hands.

They are actually on national back order the dealer told me they had no clue when the parts would show up. He guess anywhere between 2-6 weeks or possibly more. They had me pick up my Jeep and drive while parts are on order probably so I wouldnt have a lemon law case.

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines