Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ncbmx64
my build date is 9/11 also took it in for the ticking and they replaced my lifters noise is still there the tech said the noise is normal even though it was the same noise i took it in for in the first place that they said was not normal. will keep driving it and see what happens.
That is what Jeep told the tech at my dealership. He told them he has replaced many heads for this problem and replacing the lifters never helped. Jeep then told him to take measurements for tolerance on the lifters first and then they decided to replace the head! I would go back or try another dealership.
I will update after I get my rig back and let everyone know if my ticking problem was corrected.

Don't take "THIS IS NORMAL" for an answer. This problem with ticking effects more than just the Wranglers! They have been replacing many heads.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought about taking it to another dealer but this is the closest one to me and since I purchased my Jeep from them they give me a rental. Dont want to have to pay for a rental myself I might take it back again next week getting a AEV hood put on sometime this week or early next due to some hail damage so once I get her back from that I will take her back in to get looked at again for the ticking. This will be the 5th time she has been at the shop for warranty problems first three were for a rattling noise due to a heat sheild and now two times for the ticking. Guess I got bad luck and this is my first Jeep so far not too impressed but I do love my Jeep so Im putting up with it.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just an FYI, the dealership told me that there are over 600 heads on national backorder! With dealership replacing the lifters, may buy Jeep enough time to get caught up with production. So, I would definately NOT give up! Took 3 weeks to get the first head in!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/consumer...s-of-2011.html

On the other hand... like someone already said that's why we have a warranty. Some dealers are great to deal with an some are awful. I have a 2012 JKUR with 5000 miles. No problems so far. I definitely FEEL for those have had problems and hope I don't join you.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hope you don't have to endure it either! It really stinks! I realized I made a payment on vehicle that I haven't been able to drive in month! Grrrrrr
Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting thread. I am keeping my ears near my engine in case that ticking noise starts...
Old 04-25-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the ticking noise on my JK. It has 6,000 miles I had never paid attention to that sound until I looked it up on youtube. What a bitch! Now what? My local dealership is not the best one. I know more than the mechanics that work there
Old 04-27-2012, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Head replaced today and NO TICKING anymore!!!! Hope it continues to stay that way!!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My build date is 9/11. I have 13500 on mine and no ticking. I will be listening more closely now though
Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hopefully my sons buddy will be over this weekend and i can get some more info and if hes personally seen any more problems

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines