Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh. 9/22/11 build date 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport, bought in Dec of 2011. Yesterday, with 19,550ish miles on it (yes, I drive it), I got the CEL. Dealership reported code p0300-p0302, indicating cylinder 2 misfire. Like other reports I've heard, they reprogrammed the PCM per a Chrysler TSB.

Interestingly, I've asked them on my last two visits if they had changed any heads on 2012 Jeeps. "Nope." I'm afraid that's going to change soon. Seems like I've got some reading to do.

While I was there I had them balance and rotate the tires. In the process they gave one of my 3 month old ProComps a deep gash in the lip of the rim, 1.5" long. Wonderful experience all in all.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

what do they give for a substitute while yours is in for months?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:55 PM
JK Newbie

A awd 2012 gmc terrain the first time, a awd 2012 gmc Acadia the second time, and a 2012 Buick lacrosse the third time but we had 2 throw a fit 2 get them. Apparently they don't give loan a cars for jeeps so they say. They where ok but the ain't a jeep by no means the gmc's would not even climb the hill at the end of my road. My jeep goes up it in 2wd with out spinning. I thought we tore the oil pan out of the Buick car pulling into the gas station.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default 3.6 engine Valve problems

Originally Posted by carolinajk
hi all . just info for those that have the new engine , just had a conversation with a good friend of my son . this guy is a certified mopar tech for the last several years and naturally a huge mopar fan . any way he related to me about some of his factory training he had and said that there have been cases showing up of these engines dropping valves on the left bank for an as yet to be determined reason . he said thus far it is gc and wranglers this has been proceeded by wisps of smoke from the tailpipe . not huge numbers of these engines but enough he said that it is being looked into as possible parts / materials or assembly defects
Well, I just had my 2012 in service to fix the "valve problem." Here is what I was told. The 3.6 have variable valves. There is a cam cushion adjuster. A limited number of 3.6 are having problems. The stongest indicator is the sound; very loud valve tappets. It simple does not sound right, very "clickly." Have the dealer start a 2012 at the store, then listen to your, you will (and they will) hear the difference immediately. It is not limited to the Jeep lineup; its Dodge and Chrysler. After having my Jeep for a week, they returned it, quieter, but still not right. Click, click, click.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2012 3.6 Valve Problems

Originally Posted by sr31aj
guys - go back and read my "update to my nightmare" post #477. If you can't figure out from the noise whether you have an issue or not, or if you can't be sure whether the noise is originating in cylinder head or somewhere else, put your hand on the cylinder head. The feel of bare metal hitting metal is pretty unique - and the feel of the left-side cylinder head will definitely be different from the feel of the right-side cylinder head - IF you're having the issue we've been talking about here. No need for any tools, no need to video and review, you don't need to rev the engine, just touch the sucker and you'll know something's wrong.
I mentioned in an separate post that I just got my Jeep back after having the Valve problem service. Althought it is quieter, it is still very load. Stopped at the Jeep shop, had them start a new 2012 and the engines sound completely different. My sound started about 4k, and got progressively louder. By the way, I love the vehicle, other than this problem. I have been getting about 23mpg on the freeway at 65. I get about 20 for combined city/freeway and about 17.5 around town. UNTIL they did the work. Mileage has dropped town to 15. Bugger. There is a problem, do not let them tell you that is the way it sounds.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

I remember reading about a oil plug in the head that mechanics were forgetting to transfer from the old head to the new. With it MIA there was a lot of noise and kept the variable valve timing from working right. The issue became so predictable that Chrysler changed their procedures and began including the plug already installed in the replacement heads.

I'm not saying I know for sure that's your problem but it might be. There would probably be codes stored for poor or nonexistant variable valve timing function. If it was my Jeep I'd take it back and ask them to check it with the starscan tool. I'd even be willing to pay for the diagnostic service it that's what it took to get them to check it.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this still something I'll need to look for if I go buy a brand new 2012 tomorrow?

My 2011 is rock solid with no oil consumption, but even with the 3.73 gears the lack of power makes me wonder why its even got a 6th gear. Unless I'm rolling on flat ground or down hill I can't use it. I don't want to trade a vehicle that is running fine for one destined to be in the shop endlessly.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MeatCurtains
Is this still something I'll need to look for if I go buy a brand new 2012 tomorrow?

My 2011 is rock solid with no oil consumption, but even with the 3.73 gears the lack of power makes me wonder why its even got a 6th gear. Unless I'm rolling on flat ground or down hill I can't use it. I don't want to trade a vehicle that is running fine for one destined to be in the shop endlessly.
Oh wow, hard call.

If it was me, I'd stick with the 2011 for now, let the dust settle on this issue.....then make your move. 'If it aint broke...don't fix it'
Im happy with my 08 and the auto, stock...oil consumption problem is fixed...good to go.

Just my 2 cents...good luck
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's no way in hell they still have any of those motors left, considering they are sending out new improved heads to the dealerships.

Last edited by jkrubcon; 07-17-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

It is my understanding that the issue is fixed. I bought a brand new 2012 a month ago. No issues. It was a known problem, all dealerships should have addressed it by now.

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines