Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjamaster
Been a while since I posted. My engine started getting a little noisy at around 3000 miles. Yesterday I passed 12200 miles and the engine light came on(the oil and gas cap were good). I dropped it off at the dealer.

Today's update is," misfire in Cylinder 6 and we're updating the computer." Funny because every time they change the oil(last 7/19/2012)they check for recalls or notices and nothing. They've had it all day and expect to get me it back tonight. I wonder if this is the start...
Updating the computer is a stall tactic. Bet you get the engine light back on again within 2 days.
My replacement head took a month to come in. It's at the dealer now; maybe I'll see it by the weekend.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
Updating the computer is a stall tactic. Bet you get the engine light back on again within 2 days.
My replacement head took a month to come in. It's at the dealer now; maybe I'll see it by the weekend.
That's what I figured.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

i just went out and looked at mine, i have a build date of march. I can hear an audible tick from the drivers side but it not as bad as the youtube vids. Im curious if it starts out slow and gets louder as time passes. Ive got 6k miles.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine started slow around 1200km by 6000km it was twice as loud. Keep an ear on it.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

All I kn ow is they are aware of the problem and are still selling old stock sitting on lots. If someone wanted to start a class action I d be first to jump on and I dont even have a tick. BUT you part of why you buy a new car is peace of mind. Impossible with this looming
Old 07-27-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default Warranty

If I take my Jeep in with it lifted and 35's are they going to hassle me over the warranty? My Jeep is definately knocking at 4000 miles and I'm freaking about the warranty. Anyone been into get it fixed with a lift and tires?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

I dont think a head problem could possibly be linked to lift and tires....
Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Muirheadj1
If I take my Jeep in with it lifted and 35's are they going to hassle me over the warranty? My Jeep is definately knocking at 4000 miles and I'm freaking about the warranty. Anyone been into get it fixed with a lift and tires?
No need to worry about the lift and tires for the motor. The modification has to have a direct link and documented cause/effect to issue at hand, this Magnuson, protects you.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Funny people mention the paranoia when we read stuff like this.... I watched a few you tube videos on the ticking noise. At least 1/2 of them were normal valve train / injector noise and the bad ones were pretty obvious. I have noticed the last few mornings I get an initial lifter noise for about 1-2 seconds from sitting all night until the oil is picked up. I know this is common on a lot of engines especially in the cold (even though it isn't cold) However, I haven't noticed this on my wifes 11 GC Pentastar. I am not worried as I am only 1,700 miles into my warranty.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TejasRubi
No need to worry about the lift and tires for the motor. The modification has to have a direct link and documented cause/effect to issue at hand, this Magnuson, protects you.
Thanks for the reassurance. I've just heard of Chrysler throwing you on the "Black List" for any mods done to your vehicle.

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines