Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

hi all . just info for those that have the new engine , just had a conversation with a good friend of my son . this guy is a certified mopar tech for the last several years and naturally a huge mopar fan . any way he related to me about some of his factory training he had and said that there have been cases showing up of these engines dropping valves on the left bank for an as yet to be determined reason . he said thus far it is gc and wranglers this has been proceeded by wisps of smoke from the tailpipe . not huge numbers of these engines but enough he said that it is being looked into as possible parts / materials or assembly defects
Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here we go.

Say it's not so, please.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

This needs to be a delayed April fools joke. At least thats what I'm Gonna tell myself.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by webejeepin
Here we go.

Say it's not so, please.
didnt post to cause paranoia jus be aware . he said he has saw 2 complaints of the smoking recently and the customers are told that its ok to drive
Old 04-15-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by carolinajk
didnt post to cause paranoia jus be aware . he said he has saw 2 complaints of the smoking recently and the customers are told that its ok to drive
No worries That's what this forum is for...help your fellow Jeeper with info. If it wasn't for JK Forum I would have never known about the 3.8L oil drinking problems, or how to fix the steering clunk, or how to do my own rear brakes....and the list goes on....
Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by webejeepin
No worries That's what this forum is for...help your fellow Jeeper with info. If it wasn't for JK Forum I would have never known about the 3.8L oil drinking problems, or how to fix the steering clunk, or how to do my own rear brakes....and the list goes on....
exactly also now no dealer can bs anyone and tell them they werent aware of any problems
Old 04-15-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by carolinajk
exactly also now no dealer can bs anyone and tell them they werent aware of any problems
You got it!!

I printed out the details of how to fix the steering clunk (from this forum), gave it to my dealer, and had them cover it under warranty...no issues.

We have strength in numbers!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, there has been a ticking problem on some 3.6L's, some caused by a valve lash problem. There is a thread elsewhere. Chrysler has been replacing the whole head, & it maybe contained to early 2012's.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya
Yes, there has been a ticking problem on some 3.6L's, some caused by a valve lash problem. There is a thread elsewhere. Chrysler has been replacing the whole head, & it maybe contained to early 2012's.
I heard this also it's not all just some ( earlyer ones I'd assume) I have a warrenty, I'm NOT worried about it
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I do not believe I have much valve tap (compared to my 2004 vvtl-i) but i did have a wisp of smoke come out the exhaust a couple months back. Possibly the valve stuck? I have not had the problems since then.

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines