Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

PETITION -- JK Clockspring & Airbag Light

Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PETITION -- JK Clockspring & Airbag Light

Since happening to me I have done research throughout this forum and other Jeep forums on the JK clockspring causing the airbag light to continuously chime on while driving. If you have a 2007 JK, there is a recall for the clockspring. If you have a 2008+ JK, there is no recall for the clockspring; though, there should be -- and I hope there will be. Personally, I am not about to pay Jeep $500 to repair a faulty piece of equipment that is causing a malfunction with my airbag and putting my safety at risk.

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. It took me no more than 10 minutes to do. Here is what I wrote, "On the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (LHD) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.This has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (LHD) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (LHD) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying."

If you would like to get this matter resolved, not just for me and for yourself, but for EVERYONE, please take a few minutes to file a complaint and get this undying matter put to rest and for free. My cousin is also on the matter at hand, now. He is an attorney who specializes in matters like this one (vehicle safety and insurance), and feels there is a strong case here. His best advice for now is to get as many complaints filed to the NHTSA on this issue -- make it a big deal.

Thank you!

Here is the link to begin: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Click on where is says "Begin online form"

EDIT: Whether you have a 2008, 2009, 2010, etc. It would help out greatly to get this problem resolved once and for all. Feel free to use my complaint as a guideline to wording your complaint if you happen to be stumped with your words.

Last edited by RN M OVR; 04-24-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

No clue about other model years but about 9 months after I bought my 2010 my Jeep wouldn't start in the shopping parking lot. I called Jeep, they walked me through a few things. Nothing worked. I got mad and started turning the steering wheel in both directions trying to start it and somehow it just started finally after 20 minutes of trying. Airbag light was on. I drove it to the dealer and they said it was the clockspring which they said it was a factory recall and they fixed it no charge. They even replaced the horn/airbag cover which had a slit in it from me punching it when it didn't start.

Oh and they gave me a free rental too. No it was no fixed under warranty...it was a recall. Or so I was told. Maybe check with Jeep headquarters and ask if it's covered under a recall? Just a thought.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RCKKRWLR
No clue about other model years but about 9 months after I bought my 2010 my Jeep wouldn't start in the shopping parking lot. I called Jeep, they walked me through a few things. Nothing worked. I got mad and started turning the steering wheel in both directions trying to start it and somehow it just started finally after 20 minutes of trying. Airbag light was on. I drove it to the dealer and they said it was the clockspring which they said it was a factory recall and they fixed it no charge. They even replaced the horn/airbag cover which had a slit in it from me punching it when it didn't start.

Oh and they gave me a free rental too. No it was no fixed under warranty...it was a recall. Or so I was told. Maybe check with Jeep headquarters and ask if it's covered under a recall? Just a thought.
Lucky! I think my dealership is just an @55hole. I'll call the corporate come Monday. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got recall paperwork from the dealer for this repair.

Mine has been out nearly two years
Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sa29560
I got recall paperwork from the dealer for this repair.

Mine has been out nearly two years
What year is your JK? What's the recall number (ID) you got? If you don't mind sharing....

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

I do have an article of mail at my place, I'll try to get some info up tomorrow afternoon when I get back in town
Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sa29560
I do have an article of mail at my place, I'll try to get some info up tomorrow afternoon when I get back in town
Thank you! I'd just like to have a reference number to the recall so I can potentially use that in my upcoming fight with the dealership and probably Chrysler HQ.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RN M OVR

Thank you! I'd just like to have a reference number to the recall so I can potentially use that in my upcoming fight with the dealership and probably Chrysler HQ.
Hey bud, just got back to the house.

My paperwork offers no reference or recall service numbers. Just simply states some models of 2007 wranglers are having this issue and the warranty is being extended to ten years/150k miles. I have dealt with it this long so I'm not rushing out of my way to get it done, simply to have it fail again. My jk gets wet constantly, theres no point avoiding it.

I'll end up getting it fixed sometime soon and I'll be sure and update.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Part of my response from the nhtsa....

Thank you for filing your safety-related complaint via our Web site or our Vehicle Safety Hotline.The ODI Number listed below will be a direct link to your complaint as soon as it is ready to view.Please allow at least two business days for approval and processing before trying to view your complaint online.You will then be able to view it and search any associated documents.

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10456402

Your complaint information will be entered into the NHTSA vehicle owner complaint database.NHTSA technical staff review this information to identify potential safety problems. While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defects trends.Also, the NHTSA complaint database provides valuable information to other consumers and to manufacturers.

I'm on a mission to get this recall for everyone; not just myself. Help me out people!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

FYI... Chrysler called. I have to call them back. We are going to discuss the clockspring issue and hopefully get this resolved. I'll keep you all updated for those who might care....

Quick Reply: PETITION -- JK Clockspring & Airbag Light