Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cowl mount options?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl mount options?

After reading the posts here it looks like a cowl mounted antenna is a good way to go. Good reception and less coax to run. I'll top it with a 3 ft Firestik antenna. I don't think I need the 4ft antenna since I don't have to clear my soft top to improve the reception. The question is, what brand cowl mount? It's not clear to me whether the Firestik Jeep Hood channel mount will work on a JK. Also, are there any issues mounting the CB antenna on the same side as the AM/FM antenna? Or should I keep it on the driver's side?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink X2 - I would like to see more people who have hood mounted antennas on JK's

You would want to run it on the opposite side of the FM antenna or you would experience interference with your radio from what I have read.

I actually just bought the Jeep Hood mount. I only did because it was cheaper then getting the fire-ring coax and the right mounting stud.

After looking all over the place for mounting options I have only seen less than a handful of them mounted on the hood of a Jeep. This might be the only JK i have ever seen with a hood mount, below, from this link -->https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...r-jeep-227276/

That metal right there is really thin, but that seems to be the only place you can really put it. I'm guessing he took of the whole fender panel to mount it. I think unless you reinforced it a small Ham antenna is the largest you could safely run.

OTHER OPTIONS
I have seen quite a few people mount to the windshield A-pillar bolts. I remember someone did it and said that they got bad reception there. It really isn't good for the antenna to be right next to the metal.

Another option is to mount it off of your front bumper. I saw one guy that did it with the stock bumper. He mounted it to the arms that hold the bumper on. I wish I could find that post. It looked a bit weird but not too bad. With the grill being plastic I bet he got really good reception.

There was this guys mount if they still make them -->https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...a-mount-23887/

After it is all said and done, I think the Arizona Rocky Road Spare Tire Mount is the best option for a CB fiberglass antenna. The main drawback is that the Coax can get worn out with the opening and closing of the rear gate.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the firestick is a bit too rigid to be mounting on the cowl. If you hit something on the trail, the cowl will bend.

This is a Diamond antenna mount, but I'm not sure if the have a model the will work with a Firestick
Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good info. I was worried about interfering with the AM/FM antenna as well.

I did find the FireStik MK-J4R Hood Channel Jeep Antenna Mount Kit
Click image for larger version

Name:	31yjd6kQlUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	311748
but I've also seen reviews that suggested this was for the older TJ and YJ models. It seems like the sheet metal is a bit flimsy there on the JKs and something banging on the antenna might dork up something. The Arizona Rocky Road is my backup plan, but I was worried about it sticking up too high. The Diamond mount looked interesting, but my Googling around hasn't found much on this particular model of it though.

I could go with a more flexible antenna than a Firestik. Their FireFly seems like it might do the trick, or go with a Wilson antenna.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BagOfDoorknobs

Attachment 311748
but I've also seen reviews that suggested this was for the older TJ and YJ models. It seems like the sheet metal is a bit flimsy there on the JKs and something banging on the antenna might dork up something. The Arizona Rocky Road is my backup plan, but I was worried about it sticking up too high. The Diamond mount looked interesting, but my Googling around hasn't found much on this particular model of it though.

I could go with a more flexible antenna than a Firestik. Their FireFly seems like it might do the trick, or go with a Wilson antenna.
I would defiantly go with the firefly. It can bend 90 degrees or more without a spring. The Wilson flex doesn't have the same range, but seems to be a bit more flexible. Basically a 3' firefly = 4' wilson flex = 3 to 4 miles from the info on rightchannelradios.com.

After reading some old reviews it seems that some people really don't like the fire-ring coax. You might just try to find a coax that is 95% shielded that comes with both PL-259 connectors attached. There is a definite way that you have to mount the fire ring. If it is flipped 180 degrees on the wrong side it doesn't work well. Plus the way you have the isolating washer like any mount. I'm guessing some of those unsatisfied people mounted it with the wrong side facing up. It appears that with that kit as well you have to do a bit of soldering after you fish the coax through the Jeep. On the up side it has been said that it is resistant to rust.

I went with the fire ring because I am thinking of mounting it right to the spare tire holder like in this post --> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...e-mount-59752/ . The Arizona mount is awesome but even with a 2' antenna I couldn't get in my garage with one. While it is not the best, sometimes good enough is good enough.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

After reading the posts here it looks like a cowl mounted antenna is a good way to go. Good reception and less coax to run. I'll top it with a 3 ft Firestik antenna. I don't think I need the 4ft antenna since I don't have to clear my soft top to improve the reception. The question is, what brand cowl mount? It's not clear to me whether the Firestik Jeep Hood channel mount will work on a JK. Also, are there any issues mounting the CB antenna on the same side as the AM/FM antenna? Or should I keep it on the driver's side?

Thanks!
Dude! Im looking for cowl mount options too! Thread subscribed and I'll add info if I come across anything. I too am having slim pickins
Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Attachment 311748

I've just received this kit, the FireStik MK-J4R Hood Channel Jeep Antenna Mount Kit, and found that it will not fit safely on the 2012 Wrangler. There is a small part of the cowl where it can fit (similar to the green Jeep above), but the metal there can be flexed with one hand. The other part of the hood (in the 2012 at least) has been reinforced with box-shaped frame members, so there is no way to get "inside" it to screw the nuts on the underside of the mount.

I called Firestik and the first thing they said was "don't mount to that really flimsy point on the cowl, it can actually break the metal". Firestik is going to work with me to find a solution for the newer style frame- possibly using their Dodge Ram hood mount instead, as it looks like a better fit. I'll report back here in a couple days if anyone's interested, and have some pictures of the new frame members to post.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jahbone

I've just received this kit, the FireStik MK-J4R Hood Channel Jeep Antenna Mount Kit, and found that it will not fit safely on the 2012 Wrangler. There is a small part of the cowl where it can fit (similar to the green Jeep above), but the metal there can be flexed with one hand. The other part of the hood (in the 2012 at least) has been reinforced with box-shaped frame members, so there is no way to get "inside" it to screw the nuts on the underside of the mount.

I called Firestik and the first thing they said was "don't mount to that really flimsy point on the cowl, it can actually break the metal". Firestik is going to work with me to find a solution for the newer style frame- possibly using their Dodge Ram hood mount instead, as it looks like a better fit. I'll report back here in a couple days if anyone's interested, and have some pictures of the new frame members to post.
I have the Dodge Dakota mount so I tested it. It seems to not quite fit the curve of the hood.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jahbone

That's good to know. I've also found these guys w ww.cometantenna.com. They have a bunch of lip mount antennas. But I suspect they'll have the same issue with the box frame members.

This one w ww.rightchannelradios.com/adjustable-universal-hood-mount.html

Name:	mk-174-0.gif
Views:	507
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	312502

might work if there's enough of a "box" to screw it on to.

I've got an email out to these guys h ttp://cfeproducts.com/cbansys.html to see if this mount

Name:	tmrce_2174_3802580.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	312504

has ever been done successfully on a jeep.

This might be my get rich quick scheme - design a cowl mount that actually works on a JK. Now all I need to do is sell 1 million of them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tmrce_2174_8689604.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	312503  
Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WheelingAstronomer
I have the Dodge Dakota mount so I tested it. It seems to not quite fit the curve of the hood.
Shoot. What year JK are you driving? I think the existing Jeep version of the Firstik cowl mount works all the way up through 2010 models. It's only the last year or two that the hood and cowl area has changed enough to not make it work. I guess we'll see when my Dodge Ram mount gets here!

Quick Reply: Cowl mount options?