Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV Lift Kit ???

Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the math and the research and bought the Rancho 4 inch sport kit.

The AEV ST kit is less complete that the Rancho kit and costs $1274.

The SC kit includes some things that the Rancho kit does not and is $1674.

What's different is listed below.

A high steer kit(It looks like an adjustable front track bar to me). The Rancho kit includes an adjustable front track bar.

A new non-adjustable rear track bar and bracket. (I'm not sure why the new track bar, but I've red many comments that it rubs the rear springs) Rancho includes a new rear track bar bracket.

Bilstien steering stabilizer.

Procal.

The Rancho kit does include new front Stainless braided brake lines.

Next are 2 comparisons with like or better components.

Rancho kit with RS9000 adjustable shocks actual cost after rebate $505 (that's what I paid 1 month ago)
Procal $150
Bilstein steering stabilizer $86
Rock Krawler rear track bar $160
Teraflex drag link flip $214
Total $1115. Over $550 less

What I would probably choose and in my opinion all superior to what's included in AEV's kit:
Rancho kit $505
Super Chips 3875 used $250
Fox steering stabilizer $125
Evo drag link flip $300
Total $1340. Still almost $350 less.
Discounted through forum sponsors even less.

I probably won't do any of it except the Super Chips unless something brakes or there is a true need. $755!!!!!!!!

I will spend my money elsewhere.

My plan is to add Rock Krawler mid-arms and Tatton drive shafts as the budget allows.(The $500 rebate will get me most of the way for the drive shafts). Iv'e already started picking up Rock Krawler arms from forum members.

I will have a nice lift with Krawler arms, Super Chips tuner and front and rear drive shafts for $2300. Beat that AEV!!!!!!!!!

The worst part is I havn't installed a damn thing yet. I made a terrible deal with my wife that I would finish the basement and build a shed before I lift the Jeep!!

The basement is 95% done and I havn't started the shed.

Gary
Old 05-31-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ASSFROW

A high steer kit(It looks like an adjustable front track bar to me). The Rancho kit includes an adjustable front track bar.

A new non-adjustable rear track bar and bracket. (I'm not sure why the new track bar, but I've red many comments that it rubs the rear springs) Rancho includes a new rear track bar bracket.

Procal.

Rancho kit with RS9000 adjustable shocks actual cost after rebate $505 (that's what I paid 1 month ago)
Procal $150

What I would probably choose and in my opinion all superior to what's included in AEV's kit:
Rancho kit $505
Evo drag link flip $300

I probably won't do any of it except the Super Chips unless something brakes or there is a true need. $755!!!!!!!!

My plan is to add Rock Krawler mid-arms and Tatton drive shafts as the budget allows.(The $500 rebate will get me most of the way for the drive shafts). Iv'e already started picking up Rock Krawler arms from forum members.

I will have a nice lift with Krawler arms, Super Chips tuner and front and rear drive shafts for $2300. Beat that AEV!!!!!!!!!

The worst part is I havn't installed a damn thing yet. I made a terrible deal with my wife that I would finish the basement and build a shed before I lift the Jeep!!

Gary
I will be interested to see if you like the rancho shock because my experience with them was complete junk, the bilstein is a much superior shock. I
Old 05-31-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Strombeck
I will be interested to see if you like the rancho shock because my experience with them was complete junk, the bilstein is a much superior shock. I
DOOD!!!! Did you fall off of your stool? It looks like you started a sentence and disappeared.

I have seen complaints about the RS5000, but nothing but praise for the RS9000. I have leveling Bilsteins on my F150. They were amazing with the stock tires, but havn't done as well with the 35's they were designed to allow clearance for. It still rides a bazillion times better than it did stock though. I'll be surprised if the RS9000's doesn't ride well, but I'll still have saved enough over the AEV kit to buy some nice Bilstein 5165's or Fox remotes.

Gary
Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you'll forgive me but, the RK kit isn't even similar in design and to make a comparison between it and the aev kit wouldn't make any sense. the rancho sport kit IS very similar in design, constructed better and is available at a fraction of the price.

LOL!! just because you don't like what you hear or are somehow offended by it doesn't mean that anyone is a hater. me, i'm just trying to provide good and accurate information based on facts and personal experience. if i can save a member of this forum some money and recommend a better product, i will. you of course can spend your money however you want and if your happy with what you have, more power to you

let me get this straight - you don't have any experience on the rocks but, "you've read" and "saw posts" about how awesome the aev kit is? man, i love it.

if you've seen it in posts, it must be true. me, i've just seen a whole lot in person, on the trail and saw things a bit differently. but hey, what you see on the trail can't possibly be as valid as what you hear others tell you on the internet.

sure, they are maintenance free and will remain quite but, factory bonded rubber bushings will limit your flex. also, nobody ever said that your beloved kit is bad or that it will break, only that it's WAY OVER PRICED for how little you really get and that there are better options that are offered for a fraction of the cost. but, you can believe whatever it is you want to believe.

yes, there are lots of options that will work not only just fine, but better and for less. see rancho special below and do the math for yourself:

Wow........
Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Procal.

Procal $150

Rancho kit $505
Evo drag link flip $300

Gary
talk about a thorough cost analysis

Originally Posted by bdmckenna
Wow........
left you speachless i see - i'll take that as a compliment

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-31-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the AEV 3.5 inch premium kit and love it. For me, I had narrowed my choices down between AEV and TeraFlex lifts. Being that I live about 30 minutes from TeraFlex's shop I had time to look at their lift first hand and ask all the questions that I could think of and then some. I also have one of TeraFlex's lifts on my other Jeep so I know their quality and craftsmanship. I also helped out a friend who owned a 4wd shop and have had expericance with lots of differant brands of lifts, so I kind of knew what I wanted and what lifts just weren't worth the money from other peoples problems with them. So I feel that I have an educated opinion about lifts, is the AEV lift the BEST lift out there probably not and there probably isn't a single BEST lift kit either. One of the big selling points for me is that I could do all the work my self without the aid of any special tools. I also didn't want to have to cut and weld brackets on because it can effect the resale value of the Jeep if I needed to sale it for some reason and I can always return the vehicle back to stock if I need to. The bottom line is YOU need to look at what type of wheeling you do or want to do and then look at what each kit has to offer and make a pro/ con list for each lift kit and then chose which best fits what you want. Every one has an opinion about their lift or their whatever but they aren't you.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

" left you speachless i see - i'll take that as a compliment "

I look forward to sitting around a campfire with some American Honey and discussing the virtues of various "options" for our Jeeps.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by grumpy1
I also have one of TeraFlex's lifts on my other Jeep so I know their quality and craftsmanship.
so do tell, what TF kit do you also have installed on your other JK? of course, i know you wouldn't be talking about a kit you have on a TJ or other Jeep as that wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison and pointless to bring up in this conversation. and, being that it's the exact same height as your aev kit, i'd love to hear how both JK's perform.

One of the big selling points for me is that I could do all the work my self without the aid of any special tools. I also didn't want to have to cut and weld brackets on because it can effect the resale value of the Jeep if I needed to sale it for some reason and I can always return the vehicle back to stock if I need to.
and, if you really had done your homework as well as you thought you had, you would have found that the rancho sport kit is very similar in design, function and ease of installation ONLY, it is actually constructed better and is WAY MORE affordable that what you ended up getting.

Every one has an opinion about their lift or their whatever but they aren't you.
and clearly, you have a strong opinion about the only lift you've ever had on your JK.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bdmckenna
" left you speachless i see - i'll take that as a compliment "

I look forward to sitting around a campfire with some American Honey and discussing the virtues of various "options" for our Jeeps.
sounds like a date
Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Strombeck
We also have a monotube that (for overall applications across the board) has more valving options than others.

DOOD!!!! Did you fall off of your stool? It looks like you started a sentence and disappeared.

I have seen complaints about the RS5000, but nothing but praise for the RS9000. I have leveling Bilsteins on my F150. They were amazing with the stock tires, but havn't done as well with the 35's they were designed to allow clearance for. It still rides a bazillion times better than it did stock though. I'll be surprised if the RS9000's doesn't ride well, but I'll still have saved enough over the AEV kit to buy some nice Bilstein 5165's or Fox remotes.

Gary
I suggest either the RS7000 or the RS9000XL for the JK platform. And I suggest get the basement/shed done.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
sounds like a date
Never saw the Honey smilie before! Nice touch WOL/ette.

Quick Reply: AEV Lift Kit ???