Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enlarging the rear storage compartment

Old 09-14-2018, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Enlarging the rear storage compartment

Does anyone know if there is currently a kit on the market to cut out the rear storage compartment over where the stock exhaust sits and enlarge it? There used to be kit back in 07. I removed my stock exhaust, so I now have some room to play with. My compartment is full of tools and I want to be able to carry more. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Found it!! Anyone have and install the dominion offroad kit?
Dominion OffRoad - Hardcore Jeep JK Products
Old 09-14-2018, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You could make your own for under $250. It seems like there was a write up a few years back about enlarging that space. The spot folks enlarge is to the right in the tub. You can add a small hinged door and build out a similar frame behind the taillight and have that space too.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You could make your own for under $250. It seems like there was a write up a few years back about enlarging that space. The spot folks enlarge is to the right in the tub. You can add a small hinged door and build out a similar frame behind the taillight and have that space too.
I was thinking about making it myself. Jeepswag is selling the kit for $199. I was hoping someone had the kit and could offer some info on it.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

That Dominion kit might double the space, but man that is all relative. If cutting a hole in the tub, I'd really want to get some REAL space.....as in cutting a hole the size required to do the GR aux gas tank. Something like that would be worthwhile if you could store that much more. $250 for that little bit of extra space, on top of the hassle of installing it seems like s stretch. I'd rather build a false floor/truck on top of the cargo area for $60, but that's just me. Curious to see if you end up doing this though, and thoughts afterwards.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
That Dominion kit might double the space, but man that is all relative. If cutting a hole in the tub, I'd really want to get some REAL space.....as in cutting a hole the size required to do the GR aux gas tank. Something like that would be worthwhile if you could store that much more. $250 for that little bit of extra space, on top of the hassle of installing it seems like s stretch. I'd rather build a false floor/truck on top of the cargo area for $60, but that's just me. Curious to see if you end up doing this though, and thoughts afterwards.
At $199 and my time, I'm thinking about it. I might hold out to see if it goes on sale during the holiday season.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I will say, that cubby back there is the 2nd dumbest thing in our JKs IMO, right behind the door bungee pockets. The rounded sides/corners make that awkward/wasted space. I understand the depth of the cubby, but having squared-off corners and straight sides would have been much more functional from the start.
The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I get some pretty good use out of my little rear storage bucket... I mostly keep smaller, softer items in there so it doesn't matter as much about the fit. Things like ropes, tie-down straps, bungee cords, etc. Think I've got a whetstone in there, too...

Of course, most of that stuff is left-overs from having a truck, so I don't know that it'll see much use in the Jeep!
Old 09-14-2018, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I will say, that cubby back there is the 2nd dumbest thing in our JKs IMO, right behind the door bungee pockets. The rounded sides/corners make that awkward/wasted space. I understand the depth of the cubby, but having squared-off corners and straight sides would have been much more functional from the start.
Yea. I keep air tools and impact sockets it mine. I just want it to hold more. If I could get some extra room, I think I could carry most of my tools that I have in ammo cans locked to the rear seat.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You have me dreaming now. This is what I was thinking earlier. GR already makes the cover for their gas tank install -

too bad they don't make a simple box to mount under that cargo area (instead of gas tank), use that top, slap a hinge on it so it open/closes and keeps a flat floor back there, and boom....a ton of storage. I'd guess such a structure would cost so much very few would do it. I get all my tools and junk in my raised rear trunk, but sometimes I do hate that I've sacrificed 6" of height to achieve that.

Quick Reply: Enlarging the rear storage compartment