Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What welder?

Old 03-10-2013, 11:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at buying a welder for some DIY projects around the house and possibly a few things in the jeep, like the weld on evo sliders.

I'm only interested in wire welders, as that's all I have experience with.

Any suggestions in which ones you would buy if you were buying one?

How many amps?

What does it mean when they say they are a flux core wire welder? I'm not familiar with this

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Brightwhite; 03-10-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 AM
JK Freak

Flux core wire you dont need any gas. Thats more for welding outside. I have a hobart 110 volt welder and it does anything I really need. Anywhere you go to buy one can prob sell you gas to go with it.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 AM
JK Junkie

Scribed.

My best friend who i work with is a welder. About time I learn
Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got the Harbor Freight 170 amp welder for $199 on sale. I run gas not flux core and has been well worth the money I paid. It usually runs around $ 250 normally. I think it is Chicago Electic brand. I also got the full 2 year warranty for $44 more dollars.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Northern Industrial brand MIG 135. Great price, and the welder includes the gas regulator ($100+ if bought separately), spool of wire to use with gas (gas bottle not included) and a spool of flux-core wire (no gas needed). Uses standard household plug.

I've only used it on up to 3/16" so far, but it will do 1/4" in a single pass. It also uses tweco parts, so the welder can actually be fixed with the replacement parts used by the big-name brands, as compared to cheap welders which can't be fixed and are considered disposable.

Google it.. popular science listed it as a top-ten MIG welder a while back. If money isnt a huge concern, the hobart handler series is great. If money isnt an object, hobart's parent company Miller makes some of the best on the market.

Quick Reply: What welder?