Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

ARB Snatch Strap ?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB Snatch Strap ?

17600 or 24000 which should I get and why?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want at least double your winch capacity so it can handle a pull if you use a snatch block
Old 06-27-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

thanks, what about for non winch use as well?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

In my experience the more pound test the better. I've snapped so many 12k and 15k straps trying to snatch people out of the sand it isn't even funny. The snatch strap acts like a rubber band stretching and snapping back which is why its essential when having to snatch, or "yank", people out with a running start, chains and ropes dont give, and when using full size rigs, to snatch full size rigs, (jeeps fully loaded with gear and etc. can get just as heavy) 12k and 15k #'s easily adds up. Right now I'm using 30k pro comp strap which has held up really really well, but just saving up my pennies for when I snap it and can get a bubba rope. Snatch Rope : Recovery Rope : Up to 52,300 lb. Breaking Strength : Bubba Rope
Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Hmm so guess ill go with the arb 24k for now. Should i get a normal recovery/tow strap also? Like the yellow smittybuilt ones? Sorry for all the questions, VERY new to offroading and trying to build up my first offroad gear bag.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi

I would have with me on every trip:
3 d rings, two for your bumpet and one big one for straps/clevis/thimble
Tree protector, can double as snatch strap in a pinch
Snatch strap
Snatch block
Leather gloves

This list will get you out of just about anything.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

thanks matt!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I might be misinterpreting but I wouldn't recommend using a snatch strap with a winch, the stretch could be dangerous if something gives. Better to use a non stretch recovery or winch extension strap as it won't store energy if something breaks. Also a snatch block is nothing to do with snatch recoveries but rather is just a pulley block for doubling winch power.

Apologies if you are already aware of this
Old 06-28-2012, 03:02 AM
JK Freak

A tow strap and a recovery strap are two different things. A tow strap should be around 10 to 16 ft. If you have a wide tow strap it can be used as a tree protector. A recovery strap or snatch strap is usually 20 to 30 feet and will stretch so you can get a bit of a running start for stuck vehicles.

The recommended rating for a recovery/snap strap is 3 times the vehicle weight because of the stress of jerking out a vehicle. A winch line or tow strap only needs to be rated double the weight. Any damage will reduce the rating and every snatch recovery will reduce its elasticity. ARB recommends 10 statch recoveries before you replace it. I run a 17,500 snatch so in perfect condition I can jerk out a vehicle just under 6000 lbs which covers anything I wheel with. Anything heavier better have their own strap or a good winch. I really don't run in mud or deep sand so I can usually use it just to pull a Jeep till he is unstuck. A real snatch you should lay the strap on the ground in a 3 foot wide S shape so when you hit the gas you have a running start before the stretch stops and you begin pulling.

A snatch block is really a pulley block and as mentioned is used for winching. You can run the line back from it to the winch vehicle to double the load or run it off another point like a tree using your protector then to the stuck vehicle to get a better pulling angle.

Quick Reply: ARB Snatch Strap ?