Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Compass Problem

Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compass Problem

Ok. I know it's not a big deal but I recently noticed my compass is wrong. It days I'm going north but I'm going south and vice versa same with east and west. Any one else had this problem? If so is there an easy fix?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

If I remember correctly under the center of the dash dash (above the radio) there is a an item stuck under that cover...I think it had to do with the compass. Maybe check that?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is it a new vehicle? When I got mine the compass was off... I had to go to a parking lot and drive in circles about 4 times before it recalibrated. If you drive from one state to another (or several states over East or West) your compass can get out of whack from what i have read.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I bought my 07 two years ago the compass religiously lost its calibration and if have to do the drive in a circle routing.

While I know the compass module is above the radio, the dealer claimed it was a defective gauge cluster. Whatever they did, it worked fine after that.

I do know cellphones cause the compass to go nuts, of they're too close.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRubi
Ok. I know it's not a big deal but I recently noticed my compass is wrong. It days I'm going north but I'm going south and vice versa same with east and west. Any one else had this problem? If so is there an easy fix?
Did you remove and reinstall the compass module recently?

180° out suggests the compass module may be mounted backwards.
The service manual shows the wire on the module is on the driver's (left) side.

Otherwise, try the recalibration the others talked about.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-18-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

I did switch from my daystar cover back to stock think I'll check it tonight to see if I installed it backwards. Thanks for the responses!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

That cellphone hint is very good. I noticed mine also used to go berserk when I put a cellphone or some other electronics on top of the dash. Stopped when I did not put anything there anymore. Even the Vector e-dock would not prevent that.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

When referring to the cellphone interaction... where are you referring too? I have 2012 and a small bucket section in the middle of the dash and I put two cell phones up there at the same time... hadn't noticed a compass issue yet.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Maybe they moved the sensor somewhere else?

Mine is a 2007. I never had the problem until I installed the Vector e-dock and started placing my cellphone on the central tray. I had to constantly recalibrate the compass.

Then, when I stopped placing the cellphone there the problem went away. The e-dock has about 1/2 inch separation from the upper console and the tray is a beefy steel sheet but it did not help.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I know my '08 compass sensor is under the center dash piece...been putting my phone above it for a year now...sometimes two phones. Haevn't had any issues...

Quick Reply: Compass Problem