Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV rear bumper/tire carrier install question

Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AEV rear bumper/tire carrier install question

I have a few questions about the installation of the bumper and tire carrier. During the firsts steps of the instructions, it asks to put the tire carrier together. It seems as the installation of the spindle housing to the frame of the jeep is really steady at this point. Then when all the testing is completed, the instructions ask to take apart the carrier to install the bumper. That was HORRIBLE! It is so hard to take the tire carrier out of the housing.
I followed the instructions putting the bumper together but it seems to me that the tire carrier housing isnt as secured to the frame as it was at the beggining of the instructions and once the bumper is installed, there isnt any room to secure the housing other than the two allen head silver bolts that I drilled the hole for and one bolt that crosses horizontally.
Lastly, the only thing keeping the bumper attached to the frame is the L shape brackets reused from the jeep and the square metal bracket on the left side?
I guess my question is am I understanding this process correctly? It doesnt seem as secured at the end of the instructions as it did at the beggining and why put it together to take it apart? Did you use a grease gun to lubricate the spindle? Any imput/ tips/ personnal expiriences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree that it is a huge pain to install this set up, however I think that you may have something wrong is the system doesn't feel secure. Did you leave the water ranks loose in the bumper until the last few steps? This will allow you to access the 4-1/2" grade 8 bolts that hold the bumper on the left side and the tire carrier spindle mount on the right side. The carrier should be very sturdy (as it was at the end of the shimming process) by the time you are finished.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

I think I placed he L bracket before securing the spindle housing.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best advice, read and re-read the instructions. Follow them closely. Like my calculus classes back in college, I didn't really understand what I was doing until it was over. It took me a while as I did most all of it by myself. My neighbor came over and gave assistance during a couple of steps. I added the tire carrier to my Call of Duty which comes with the AEV rear bumper. Be patient with all the test fitting and just follow the steps. It should be very secure once you are done.

It's a great tire carrier. I even have the fuel caddy too, very handy!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Alright finally got in on there. Thank you for the info

Quick Reply: AEV rear bumper/tire carrier install question