Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does your Jeep handle after 4" of lift?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by notyou21
I am having a similar problem with the Rough Country adj front track bar. I have the 3.5 series II kit. I just put the adjustable front track bar on mine and now I am getting the bump steer too. I mounted the track bar with the bend in the bar to match the stock one because the instructions didn't say how to position the bar except for having the adjustment side mounted to the axle. I have the drop pitman arm and I removed the track bar drop bracket. I am wondering if the track bar needs to be flipped?
If u have a drop pitman you need the drop bracket on the trackbar so that it keeps your draglink and trackbar parallel. Without it you will get major bumpsteer and wobble.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my kit I guess it's not a drop bracket it mounts to the axle side to raise the mounting point. I will go an take a pic of how I have it installed now.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

On my kit I guess it's not a drop bracket it mounts to the axle side to raise the mounting point. I will go an take a pic of how I have it installed now.
Does the same thing a drop bracket does to make the DL and TB parallel, it needs to be on.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

I called Rough Country when I bought it and they told me to take the bracket off and just use the adjustable track bar. But if it needs to be on I will put it back on. That's why I was wondering if I had the track bar flipped the wrong way. I thought the point of the adj track bar was to not only center the axle but get rid of the bracket?

Last edited by notyou21; 09-02-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3440294284.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	361462   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1964331583.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	361464   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3758876143.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	361466  

Last edited by notyou21; 09-02-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
he said he installed a front track bar relocation bracket so, he should be good here. what he didn't say is that he ALSO installed a drag link flip or dropped pitman arm. failure to do this would result in the handling he is now experiencing.

Thanks for all the input guys. I did install the drop pitman arm and trackbar relo bracket. The problem seems to be in the rear of the Jeep - from a seat-of-the-pants feel - it feels like the rear trackbar is jacking the jeep to the passenger side when I go over certain types of uneven road/ground. I'm going to drop it down to 3.25 lift soon because my front driveshaft has already sprayed it's grease all over the place (it's a 6 speed manual tranny - not the auto) and it was way more lift than I was looking for (netted 5.5" of lift over the stock springs) so hopefully 3.25 or even 2.5 will give me just what I'm looking for and help out the road manners a bit as well. Might try better shocks down the road but the 2.2 shocks seem decent right now - but I have nothing to compare them to.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

I called Rough Country when I bought it and they told me to take the bracket off and just use the adjustable track bar. But if it needs to be on I will put it back on. That's why I was wondering if I had the track bar flipped the wrong way. I thought the point of the adj track bar was to not only center the axle but get rid of the bracket?
If you just use the adj TB without the bracket you would need to put the stock pitman back on.

The bracket gets you somewhat centered but also raises the mounting point so that it works in conjunction with the drop pitman to keep the TB and DL parallel and more level with the ground as it was when it was stock height.

Here are the pics.
Your draglink and trackbar are not parallel. The track bar looks to be on correctly, really only one way to put it on with the bend clearing the pumpkin.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

I had to put the stock track bar back on. The Rough Country track bar wouldn't adjust in far enough to let the axle move towards the drivers side. It bound up with anti-seize on the threads trying to run it in far enough.

Last edited by notyou21; 09-04-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Ok so what is better, the drop pitman arm or stock pitman arm and adjustable track bar?

Never mind I did some more searching and answered my own question.

Last edited by notyou21; 09-04-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deman
Thanks for all the input guys. I did install the drop pitman arm and trackbar relo bracket. The problem seems to be in the rear of the Jeep - from a seat-of-the-pants feel - it feels like the rear trackbar is jacking the jeep to the passenger side when I go over certain types of uneven road/ground. I'm going to drop it down to 3.25 lift soon because my front driveshaft has already sprayed it's grease all over the place (it's a 6 speed manual tranny - not the auto) and it was way more lift than I was looking for (netted 5.5" of lift over the stock springs) so hopefully 3.25 or even 2.5 will give me just what I'm looking for and help out the road manners a bit as well. Might try better shocks down the road but the 2.2 shocks seem decent right now - but I have nothing to compare them to.
Not sure if you have any aftermarket bumpers, a winch or full size spare, but if you do after some time your coils will start to sag if you stick with the RC springs. I have the 4inch RC X-Series with bumpers, winch, and full size spare my net lift over stock was 4.5. A year later I'm at about 3 inches without passengers or extra gear and about 2.5 inches loaded. My springs now have the top 4 coils touching and the paint shows where they are rubbing from hitting pot holes and flexing. I should also add I tow my 88 mustang with the jeep almost weekly. It weights in at about 2800lbs and with the trailer 3700lbs ish.

Quick Reply: How does your Jeep handle after 4" of lift?