Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

'07 3.8 throwing P2110, P2173, P0507 codes. I'm stumped.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 3.8 throwing P2110, P2173, P0507 codes. I'm stumped.

As a student I have done all my repairs at home with the help of these amazing forums, generally without any issues, but now I'm stumped even after reading forums for hours.

My jeep threw P2110, P2173, P0507 codes. It will go into limp mode after a few minutes of driving and go away once I restart it. I've replaced the PCV valve and it didn't throw the codes for about 150km so it makes me think that it's a vacuum problem somewhere other than the PCV but I don't know where to look for vacuum leaks. Maybe its a bad sensor somewhere? This all started when I cleaned my throttle body about one month ago.

If anyone has any experience here with tips on what to change (and in what order) and where to look please share your knowledge. Going to the dealer is not an option especially since I'm quite confident with working on my own vehicle (and I enjoy it).

So I'm looking at you Mr. Jeep encyclopedia. HELP!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a funny code in my 12 that was not common. Did u recently unplug the airmass sensor in the intake while the car was on or key'd on. Cuz thats what I did
Old 08-27-2012, 01:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(P2110)
Trouble Code: P2110
Electronic Throttle Control Forced Limited RPM
Trouble Code Conditions:Ignition is on and ETC motor is working. When the PCM requests to limit engine speed, if the PWM is too high for 20.5 seconds and before P2118 sets. This one-trip fault will set within 5 seconds. The ETC light will be illuminated.
Possible Causes:
Throttle plate stuck
ETC positive circuit is open or is shorted to ground
ETC negative circuit is open or is shorted to ground
ETC motor has failed
PCM has failed

, P2173,
The code is 2173, vacuum leak
Double check ALL of the electrical connections right around the tb just to be SURE that they are all tight. May have knocked something a little loose or not fully connected when you buttoned everything back up.

P0507 Idle Speed High

Double check and clean ALL of the electrical connections with electrical cleaner spray
Disconnect the battery 30 min and reconnect
All this makes me think you might have a vacuum leak if connections are good and Throttle plate is not stuck and not the wrong PCV valve

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 08-27-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How/what did you do to clean your tb?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ooltnun
As a student I have done all my repairs at home with the help of these amazing forums, generally without any issues, but now I'm stumped even after reading forums for hours.

My jeep threw P2110, P2173, P0507 codes. It will go into limp mode after a few minutes of driving and go away once I restart it. I've replaced the PCV valve and it didn't throw the codes for about 150km so it makes me think that it's a vacuum problem somewhere other than the PCV but I don't know where to look for vacuum leaks. Maybe its a bad sensor somewhere? This all started when I cleaned my throttle body about one month ago.

If anyone has any experience here with tips on what to change (and in what order) and where to look please share your knowledge. Going to the dealer is not an option especially since I'm quite confident with working on my own vehicle (and I enjoy it).

So I'm looking at you Mr. Jeep encyclopedia. HELP!
2173 could be due to the seal at back of the TB...sucking air, good luck
Old 09-05-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks a lot for the responses!

I started going over all the stuff you have suggested and then one day the motor wouldn't run smooth. I mean it sounded and felt like it was running on less than 6 cylinders. Took it into my dads friends shop and turns out it was the throttle body. Turns out the stupid motor on it was failing until it completely went. I was hoping it would've been a connection somewhere but either way I can go wheeling again!

Thanks again
Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all

a lot of jeepers dont realize that the throttle position sensor built into the trhottle body is a resistive sensor, over time it wears out over the spot where it sits in normal idle, you check it and it looks normal, till it barely looses contact and you get that glicth or roughness, scanner wont see it as it is to long on time interval between scans, only way to pick up is with ociliscope.( dealer has this) any vehicle jeep or car that has over 100km should really have TPS sensor replaced, but since jeep maintians that it is a module, they make you buy the whole thing..........................hopefully someone will take one apart and figure out cheaper solution, if you have a warranty dont worry take it to dealer.

Quick Reply: '07 3.8 throwing P2110, P2173, P0507 codes. I'm stumped.