Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOD bumper question

Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LOD bumper question

WHat is the difference between the Zinc Enriched 2 Stage Texture Black and their Texture Black? Can you post a picture of the Zinc Enriched?

WHich Tire carrier is better, the Door Linked or the non door linked?
Will either of these rattle? WHich will rattle less?

FInally, what are the pros and cons of the full width and shorty?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I can't speak from personal experience with either bumper. I know a lot of people prefer the linked vs non linked. With the linked u can use the oem door handle to access the rear of Ur jeep(swings tire carrier as well). With the non linked u first have to open the rear tire carrier first, then open the tailgate.

Also if I'm not mistaken u cannot use the top LOD basket with the linked version of the tire carrier.

Either way u go Ur getting a well made product.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Yea, I love that its American Made. It also meets my other requirment that it has lights in the rear. I like the idea of gaining access to your back in one step. Now that is settled, what is the difference between the Zinc Enriched 2 Stage Texture Black and their Texture Black?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by powrsurg
Yea, I love that its American Made. It also meets my other requirment that it has lights in the rear. I like the idea of gaining access to your back in one step. Now that is settled, what is the difference between the Zinc Enriched 2 Stage Texture Black and their Texture Black?
Found this on LODs website:

This new system is now also available with a two (2) stage zinc enriched primer powder caoting. What this means is that the product is first coated with a zinc enriched primer powder coating then it is coated once more with the finished color powder coating to provide another added layer of protection to your new investment.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MpulseJK
Found this on LODs website:

This new system is now also available with a two (2) stage zinc enriched primer powder caoting. What this means is that the product is first coated with a zinc enriched primer powder coating then it is coated once more with the finished color powder coating to provide another added layer of protection to your new investment.
Good find thanks. I was looking there and didnt see anything on it. So it would appear then that the color is the same regardless of which one you choose. I would go for the extra protection. I just paid down my credit card and now im about to pull the trigger on this. THis site is very bad for me.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:43 PM
JK Newbie

Haha I would. MAY not need it but what's another $85 or so dollars in addition to the cost of the rear combo!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live in an area where they salt the roads or you spend time where there is salt in the air then the zinc model might be a good deal for you. Zinc is very good at preventing corrosion.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Freak

I have the zinc option on my rear bumper. It's held up pretty good so far, but only has been through one winter that was pretty mild for Ohio.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by genesbro
If you live in an area where they salt the roads or you spend time where there is salt in the air then the zinc model might be a good deal for you. Zinc is very good at preventing corrosion.
yup, the zinc is not for cosmetic purposes but rather, for preventing corrosion. if you live up in the rust belt, it would be a good idea to get.

as far as which tire carrier is better goes? the linked is definitely easier to use but, if you run a really big spare, the non linked version is the way i would go. if installed right, neither should rattle.

the full width bumper will look more factory and is what i would get if you're still running full fenders. the shorty will look great with tube fenders, trimmed fenders or any other flat fender out there. it will also give you better unobstructed departure angles.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 PM
JK Freak

Excellent Advise Guys! I live on Long Island where all they ever do in the winter time is salt the roads. Thanks for pointing out the purpose of the Zinc coating. I know which route I'm going now. I do have the stock fenders and will probably go with the full rear. In the front Ill be going Mid length. Seems like the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: LOD bumper question