Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with centering steering wheel after installing a lift

Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by olsen185
I recently installed a Rough Country 3.5" lift kit on my jeep, my wife's jeep and my buddy's jeep. Since the installation, my buddy is having a hard time keeping his steering wheel centered. We adjusted it several times now and after a few days of driving it is going off center again. Today he took it to the dealer to have the car aligned. The dealer was not able to properly align the jeep because of the steering issue. Neither my wife's jeep nor my jeep is having the issue my buddy is having. The only difference between the 3 jeeps is mine and my wife's have an adjustable track bar installed and he is using the track bar bracket and drop pitman arm.

Any idea on why the steering would change over time? Obvioulsly when the steering wheel moves off center he has issues with the traction contol coming on. The only thing I can think of is maybe the track bar or the bracket is loose, but I would think if that was the issue the dealer would have noticed that. Any other ideas?
Curious if you ever found resolution to this problem. I have encountered the same issue with the same lift. Any luck fixing your buddy's jeep?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

The bolt that holds the pitman arm had loosened up and was the cause of his issue.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by olsen185
The bolt that holds the pitman arm had loosened up and was the cause of his issue.
Have the same lift, same problem has happened to me 2x Since installing in April, just under 10k miles.

Quick Reply: Problem with centering steering wheel after installing a lift