Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a squeaky stock rear hatch with a larger spare?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a squeaky stock rear hatch with a larger spare?

Hey guys. I have a pretty annoying squeak coming from my rear hatch when going over literally all bumps. Large bumps, small bumps, cracks in the road etc. I was wondering if there was any remedy for this that you all have tried. I do have a 285/75 Nitto Trail grappler on an XD wheel sitting on my stock tire carrier hatch. This is the only thing I can figure out that could possibly be causing this noise.

Am I being forced to get rear tire carrier to get rid of this squeak? I really, really dont want to dump any more money into this JK.

Cheers guys.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember who makes it, but Quadratec has a stock carrier replacement for about $130 made for oversized spares. I don't have experience with it, but I'm sure several people here do.

I'd be hesitant to recommend it as a permanent replacement, as it still mounts to your tailgate and only appears to spread out the load a bit more than stock, but it might buy you some more time until you can afford a legit carrier.

Check your welds, too, make sure they're not popping out. If so, I'd carry your spare in your bed until you can manage the repairs and obtain a more stable carrier.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a squeaky stock rear hatch with a larger spare?