Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Offroad accident in my JK... pics included

Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offroad accident in my JK... pics included

What was originally planned to be a nice easy New Years Day Run got sideways on me very quickly.

I believe what happened was that my drivers front tire caught the tip of a fallen tree that was laying paralell to the trail and it kicked it up or turned it in such a way as to jump up a bit and i was travelling at just the right speed and and at just the right angle ( i think the tree missed everthing but the brake line before it hit the firewall ) to drive it through the firewall upwards between the clutch and brake pedal grazing my groin and hitting me in the left side of my stomach pinning me to the seat. It happened really fast and very violently and i think the driver behind me had a better view of what happened but that's the best i can describe it. i've driven over logs and branches before and never even considered the idea of one coming up through the floor. i guess like any time i get hurt i always think that i could have been more careful, but it still seems like a one in a million type thing ( everyone who witnessed the accident seems to agree ).

Thankfully I was wheeling with a group and they were able to transport me out to get medical attention. They also took care of my Jeep and have made it so much easier for me to concentrate on healing. I am forever grateful for there help. Thanks again Ian, Tom, Blair, Martin and the rest of the guys.

I wasn't being careless, but in the future I will certainly be more careful. I've heard of other incidents similar to mine since it happened, but never before. Please be safe on the trails.

As you can see in the pics, i have some damage to my torso ( my " boys " also took a hard shot and are swollen to 3 times normal size and are dark purple ). There was internal bleeding that stopped on it's own without surgery, and i have damage to my kidney and bowel that require another visit to the trauma Doctor. In the meantime i have some time off work to heal, I am very swollen/ bruised/ stiff and sore but everything seems to be working OK.

there is a small peice of tree missing from the pics that i had to break off in order to exit my Jeep.

here are some pics...

Old 01-05-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Old 01-05-2008, 09:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Glad your gonna be ok. People have been talking about your accident for a few days now.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/tree-through-firewall-24369/
Old 01-05-2008, 09:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it! That makes me uncomfortable just looking at the javelin pointing right at you...

Glad you are OK!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default accident

Hope your ok and jeep isn't right off
Old 01-05-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

WOW I'm glad you are OK.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some say there is no such thing as an accident i say if everything lines up perfectly then an accident can truly occur. And with that we can all learn.

Glad ur ok.
expect to get a ribbing (no pun) about this for awhile,
get well.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by red rcok
Hope your ok and jeep isn't right off
i am healing well, and as for the Jeep...

fornt drivers brake line

slave cylinder for clutch

patch hole in firewall

all in all about 250.00 bucks to fix. one of the guys i was wheeling with is storing my Jeep in his backyard until the parts come in ( he ordered them while i was still in the hospital ).
Old 01-05-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Talk about freak accidents.... this was posted on tribal war too... you play?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn that's scary. Glad you are "ok". Now I think of all the times that have just gone screaming thru the woods running over everything in my way. I think I will slow down a little and be a little more careful now.

Quick Reply: Offroad accident in my JK... pics included