Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How does the hill descent work?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the hill descent work?

Guys,
Is the hill descent function automatic?Also what is the switch for located beneath the AC controls?
Thanks, Vince
Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

If I remember correctly you must be in 4 low to use this. Push the button and the jeep will go at 2 mph with no braking necessary. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Yup, must be in 4L, then press the button to engage the system. If you start down an incline in 4L with HDC on, the Jeep will brake individual tires to maintain Xmph based on your current gear. You'll have to read the manual to see the actual speeds, but it's close to:

1st = 1mph
2nd = 2.5mph
3rd = 4mph
etc

Some people don't like HDC, and think it's too much of a nanny. Personally, I like knowing that it's there. I prefer to brake myself when crawling down a hill, but I know that if my foot were to slip off the pedal the Jeep wouldn't get away from me.

In my testing, I've also found the following undocumented features:
- If the system is actively slowing the Jeep and you accidentally press the HDC button, HDC will not disengage until you reach flat ground.
- If the system is actively slowing the Jeep and you accidentally knock the shifter into N, HDC will bring the Jeep to a complete stop.

A little extra peace of mind can't hurt.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Does this system use the brakes or is it some sort of electronic system similar to engine braking?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Super Freak

uses the brakes. No "engine exhaust brake" like in a big rig diesel.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MrFish
Yup, must be in 4L, then press the button to engage the system. If you start down an incline in 4L with HDC on, the Jeep will brake individual tires to maintain Xmph based on your current gear. You'll have to read the manual to see the actual speeds, but it's close to:

1st = 1mph
2nd = 2.5mph
3rd = 4mph
etc

Some people don't like HDC, and think it's too much of a nanny. Personally, I like knowing that it's there. I prefer to brake myself when crawling down a hill, but I know that if my foot were to slip off the pedal the Jeep wouldn't get away from me.

In my testing, I've also found the following undocumented features:
- If the system is actively slowing the Jeep and you accidentally press the HDC button, HDC will not disengage until you reach flat ground.
- If the system is actively slowing the Jeep and you accidentally knock the shifter into N, HDC will bring the Jeep to a complete stop.

A little extra peace of mind can't hurt.
All true. I have used it and the extra peace of mind is great especially since I'm new at this. I do like braking myself but when I'm unsure or I feel like I'm getting in over my head I put it on and it realy does help.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

curious, how does this system react if you are going down a hill steep enough to loose traction?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
curious, how does this system react if you are going down a hill steep enough to loose traction?
I would assume it begins screaming like a little girl, much like the driver.

In reality, the system isn't going to do anything that your foot wouldn't do. Brake like crazy, let off to avoid slippage, repeat. Of course, HDC can brake individual wheels, using the most grippy tires for the job. I suspect, though, that if the hill is steep enough that your tires can no longer grab, who's managing the brakes is kinda irrelevant.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recently used my GDC and it worked great.

We did a trail up a mountain side and if course what goes up must come down. I was worried about overheating or riding the breaks all the way down.

I have an auto and it worked great. It kept it slow at steep inclines close to the cliffs edge and it kept it slow and controlled the whole time.

I covered the break the whole time but rarely had to actually press it. When the terrain leveled a bit I just used the gas and it allowed me to speed up.

As soon as I let of the gas it would bring it back to the gears speed threshold. Great feature.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

How would it work on snow???

Quick Reply: How does the hill descent work?