Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lift Update

Old 06-26-2019, 10:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Update

After getting great feed back from my first post and doing my own research, I decided to get a 2.5" lift kit... That was the easier part, now I am stuck between going with either the AEV 2.5 Dual Sport or the Metalcloak JK Wrangler 2.5" True Dual-Rate Lift Kit Rocksport edition. just looking for opinions and feed back, appreciate it.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

AEV has a fairly loyal following. I wish they included control arm brackets with that 2.5" lift cuz even at that height you can use some caster correction. Factor in an additional $100 to the price of that lift for some brackets if you go that route. It's really strange to me that it looks like AEV includes control arm brackets in their 2.5" lift for the JL, but still not for the JK. I'd personally go with the MC 2.5" lift. I'd rather have their springs, you'd be getting the two front upper arms to adjust caster and could add the two front lowers later down the line if you wanted, you get nice adjustable MC bump stops (adjustable is nice should the build ever change), not to mention 2 longer brake lines rather than using brackets to relocate the factory line. I'd also prefer the Rocksport shocks over the Bilstein, but shock preference is quiet subjective. Just my opinion at least.

I can't recall if you stated your intended use of the jeep in a previous thread, but you might add that to the OP.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Factor in an additional $100 to the price of that lift for some brackets if you go that route. It's really strange to me that it looks like AEV includes control arm brackets in their 2.5" lift for the JL, but still not for the JK.
My personal opinion. Most kits in that price range and height don't include caster correction for the following reasons.
1. Those that know caster correction is needed, likely prefer to choose what they prefer for caster correction be it geo brackets, control arms, etc and wouldn't want to spend an extra $100 on a kit if they preferred to get adjustable control arms instead.
2. Those that don't know caster correction is needed, the price of the kit is at a more attractive competitive price to all the other kits which don't include caster correction and then they're going to be sold caster correction afterwards.

In regards to the reason the JL lift includes them.....unsure. Likely because there's not a lot of competitive lift options available for the JL at this time, so AEV can set their price and overcharge currently for the brackets as part of the kit.

If I was debating between the MC and the AEV and price difference was not a concern, I'ld definitely go with the MC.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys, appreciate the feed back, I think considering all that MC is def the way to go, you guys know if MC has 4th of July sales? always trying to get them sales XD
Old 06-28-2019, 01:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

They probably will have a sale for the 4th but they don't run em long Sign up for their email alerts cuz that's how you get notified of a sale. Usually it's either 10% off or free shipping (they choose). Sometimes they have "flash sales" that are only 1 day long, sometimes it's for a weekend..
The following users liked this post:
Jpacker64 (06-29-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 01:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Metalcloak will have a sale on the 4th probably. MC now offers "free" shipping year 'round. Basically they raised their prices a percentage and now aren't charging shipping anymore.

Doesn't change the quality of their products or their service which is still top notch.
Jpacker64 (06-29-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by chiapeteater
Metalcloak will have a sale on the 4th probably. MC now offers "free" shipping year 'round. Basically they raised their prices a percentage and now aren't charging shipping anymore.

Doesn't change the quality of their products or their service which is still top notch.
The shipping shell game. ugh. I get the mental hurdle, but that kinda stinks cuz there were times that the "free shipping" sales were better than the 10% off sales.
Jpacker64 (06-29-2019)

Quick Reply: Lift Update