Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering problems

Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently put a rough country 4" lift on my 2010 wrangler rubicon unlimited with 35" tires. I have had problems with the steering when I cruise. It's like one little twitch to the left or right makes it turn and it feels like there is no steering sometimes. If the road is tilted I have to fight it to keep the jeep going straight. This is my first lift and I understand you give up some stuff when you lift but if that's normal I'm takin it off. There has been a couple times I have almost wrecked and then the jeep throws code no matter how good the steering wheel is set. It has a stock steering stabilizer.
Any help would be highly greatful!

Last edited by KeepJeep10; 10-02-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Did your 4" RC lift come with adjustable control arms and track bar or just springs and shocks ?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes!! 4" of lift can introduce tons of issues. If you haven't had it aligned, you should get it done soon to check for caster and toe. If you have adjustbale arms, you want to get your caster back to factory specs or slightly higher (4 to 5 range). Lifting your Jeep will result in less caster which causes flightiness in the steering. Also, check your toe as you want your toe set to zero or slightly in.

And with 4" of lift, you may need to think about a drag link flip which will help with bump steer. Not sure if you have adjustable arms or flip with your lift but you may need them if you don't.

There could be other issues causing your problem bu the above are the likely culprits.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

It just came with shocks springs and a new pitman arm. It just confuses me cuz sometimes it seems like the steering wheel gets lost. Thanks for the help I'm goin to get it aligned and then go from there and see!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Go with the advice mentioned above, but also curious as to who actually installed the lift and everything. Did you do it yourself or get a shop to do it?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by golfer97
Yikes!! 4" of lift can introduce tons of issues. If you haven't had it aligned, you should get it done soon to check for caster and toe. If you have adjustbale arms, you want to get your caster back to factory specs or slightly higher (4 to 5 range). Lifting your Jeep will result in less caster which causes flightiness in the steering. Also, check your toe as you want your toe set to zero or slightly in.

And with 4" of lift, you may need to think about a drag link flip which will help with bump steer. Not sure if you have adjustable arms or flip with your lift but you may need them if you don't.

There could be other issues causing your problem bu the above are the likely culprits.
^^^^^^^^^^
This is good info.

You are describing exactly how your JK should drive/handle with just 4" springs under it.

You need new control arms at least on the front to correct the caster.
You also need to do something with your track bars to get your differentials re-centered under the Jeep. Either brackets or new track bars or a combination of the two.
Then you will have to address the drag link alignment as mentioned above.

If you do all of that, it should drive just like a stocker.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Well I went the cheap route and me and my dad did it. My dad worked for a NASCAR pit crew and is a mechanic, but we can't figure out the problem and I found a couple local off road shops, I just can't figure which one to take it to yet and which one will be honest
Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Do y'all recommend good control arms? And I did the track bar relocation brackets so do I need to get new ones instead?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Any alignment shop should be able to throw it on their machine and give you some readings. I'm guessing your biggest issue is caster. With 4", you are probably at 1 degree or maybe less caster and you really want to be 4.5 or maybe a tad higher. If you know how to use an angle finder (I have one but zero clue!), then that will give you a good reading as well.

with regards to brands....so many good ones out there. I like Rock Krawler. Terfaflex has nice ones. Currie are great. Clayton is great too....

The main things in selecting lift components is two fold in my opinion. First is warranty. if something breaks, who's responsibility is it. Most offer no questions asked warranties. But understand what is covered before you buy. Second, what kind of joint do you want. Companies like rock krawler use a custom joint end vs others like Currie that use johnny joints. It comes down to how much maintenance do you want to do (greasing vs maintenance free), are the easily rebuildable and how well do they handle on and off road.

Its a lot to consider but generally they are all good. Buy what is better priced! LOL!! Maybe check our some rouch contry arms to match your other lift compnents!

Give 4wd, Northridge or other vendors a call. yes, they are in business to seel you stuff but most of the vendors here will give you their honest opinions regardless of what they sell.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KeepJeep10
Do y'all recommend good control arms? And I did the track bar relocation brackets so do I need to get new ones instead?
Track bar brackets should be fine if they were designed for a 4" lift.

There are some good write ups on PROJECT-JK you should check out.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Old Man Emu Jeep JK Wrangler 3″ Long Travel Lift Kit Installation Write-Up

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » TeraFlex Jeep JK Wrangler 4″ Flex Arm Lift Installation Write-Up

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

They explain lift kit installations as well as why some of these parts are required and why some parts are must haves with tall lifts.

Quick Reply: Steering problems