Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone do a 3.8 stroker kit?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
FI is the only way to go at altitude. Asking the mediocre heads to feed even more cubes that a stroker kit adds is just a recipe for a huge disappointment at altitude. Turbos and blowers were originally developed for airplane engines to offer sea level performance at high altitude.

Turbo's fit the bill even better at altitude because of the waste gate design limits max boost allowing the turbo to spin as much as needed to reach that boost where as blowers will see some reduction in boost at altitude versus sea level because of the pulley selection. As in 10 psi would be perfect at altitude, but at sea level that same pulley would over boost to 14psi. The turbo, with it's waste gate, would just release the extra pressure above 10psi.

But a twin screw or a turbo would be a better pick than a hemi. I don't get all the hemi love on here, the block weighs a ton and takes away from the nimble nature of the JK. I could under stand an LS1 style all aluminum swap but why throw a lump of iron under the hood.
I don't think it is hemi love, it's just a more common swap for JK's with quite a few conversion kits. I agree with you on the LS1, it is a much better motor, and the one I would want in mine. Chevy builds a better V8 IMO, and they run forever if you take care of them
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mentioned LS1, or LS2, LS3 because they are all aluminum. The 4.8 and 5.3 are iron block.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I mentioned LS1, or LS2, LS3 because they are all aluminum. The 4.8 and 5.3 are iron block.
Some 5.3l are aluminum. Hummers, SSR etc.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5.3 alum block, ready already machned is $600 in the GMPP catolog. 6.0 and 6.2 blocks are only $800.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why not look into the Pacifica 4.0 is basically the same se block with dohc
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JeeP_MarK
Why not look into the Pacifica 4.0 is basically the same se block with dohc
Dohc with cam phasing... diff block but internals might work!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Again... im going with a twin screw. But i will totally dissasemble/build someones donate block!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Totally love this thread- and free to subscribe to dueces- where are you in the country?!?
Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

So if Im reading things correctly, some of you folks are saying that a turbo would be a better power adder than a supercharger? Ive got some experience with turbos and I would think that up here at altitude, a supercharger would be the better direction to go.... Ive been looking into the RIPP kit and dont really see a downside to it. Am I missing something?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1bad08Rubi
So if Im reading things correctly, some of you folks are saying that a turbo would be a better power adder than a supercharger? Ive got some experience with turbos and I would think that up here at altitude, a supercharger would be the better direction to go.... Ive been looking into the RIPP kit and dont really see a downside to it. Am I missing something?
I find that odd too. For our sleds (2 strokes) we all run turbos, as the loss of bottom is negligible, but on a Jeep I'd think you'd want the instant bottom of a super, especially for what we do with them (being as concerned about offroad performance as on road). I live at 9k, and the math for FI is clear, my Jeep is literally the ONLY motor I own aside from the weedeater that doesn't have forced induction!

I just would think that for crawling, playing on the rocks, that the lag of a turbo would be an issue? I must be thinking of this wrong?

Quick Reply: anyone do a 3.8 stroker kit?