Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo rear coilover or lever system?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo rear coilover or lever system?

What's the real differance beside the way it works? What are the advantages/disadvantages between the two and is the price differance worth it?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the bolt on kit will give you 11.25" of vertical travel and the evo lever will give you 14" - a BIG difference. also, the evo lever keeps your suspension completely out of harms way. sure, it's more expensive but, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

About 3" travel don't matter all that much to me seeing how the lever system is almost twice as much. But how much modification to my jeep is needed to install the lever system? But I do like the fact that it moves and protects the suspension system. Will the bolt on front kit give me a true 14"? And I'm installing the high clearance long are suspension too.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RJtx
About 3" travel don't matter all that much to me seeing how the lever system is almost twice as much. But how much modification to my jeep is needed to install the lever system? But I do like the fact that it moves and protects the suspension system. Will the bolt on front kit give me a true 14"? And I'm installing the high clearance long are suspension too.
LOL!! okay, 3" seems like a lot to me but, to each their own.

for what it's worth, i have both kits (one installed on our white jk and the other on our dozer) and both perform outstanding. the evo lever does require a lot more modification to install. regarding the bolt on kit, it only offers 12" of vertical travel up front - not 14".
Old 10-21-2012, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
LOL!! okay, 3" seems like a lot to me but, to each their own.

for what it's worth, i have both kits (one installed on our white jk and the other on our dozer) and both perform outstanding. the evo lever does require a lot more modification to install. regarding the bolt on kit, it only offers 12" of vertical travel up front - not 14".
Ok, this may not be exactly be on topic, but i was courious about the same set up. Bolt on coil overs vs the 12" kings that require welding up front and then the rear lever vs the rear bolt on coilovers. would it be possible to run the kings that have to be welded in up front and then run the bolt on in the rear then upgrade to the lever later on? or just go straight bolt on front and rear and not mix and match so to speak?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CrushJKU

Ok, this may not be exactly be on topic, but i was courious about the same set up. Bolt on coil overs vs the 12" kings that require welding up front and then the rear lever vs the rear bolt on coilovers. would it be possible to run the kings that have to be welded in up front and then run the bolt on in the rear then upgrade to the lever later on? or just go straight bolt on front and rear and not mix and match so to speak?
Yes, you could definitely run the older/original single shock weld on version up front and do the EVO lever later on. It doesn't get advertised much, but plenty of guys went this route prior to the new front and rear bolt on kit becoming available. Remember, the bolt on kit was developed by EVO mfg as an entry level coilover set up.....which is still better than any traditional coil and shock lift kit out there.

The number may seem irrelevant, but in the world of suspension travel, 3" more travel is actually an incredible amount. The other benefit of the EVO lever is the amazing amount of bottom clearance that is gained due to the fact there are no shock absorber brackets hanging below the axle.

Last edited by GCM 2; 10-21-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

is the rear bolt on setup adjustable to 3.5" of lift? i have read that it can be adjusted as low as 2.5" but i met a guy running this on his 4door and he said it was adjusted as low as possible and he had around 5"+ of actual lift. he said he need to change coilovers to go any lower.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rtguy1
is the rear bolt on setup adjustable to 3.5" of lift? i have read that it can be adjusted as low as 2.5" but i met a guy running this on his 4door and he said it was adjusted as low as possible and he had around 5"+ of actual lift. he said he need to change coilovers to go any lower.
Had the same issue at the rears due to my Jeep being so light..it's a simple fix, replace the 12" top spring with a 10" spring and or go with lighter springs back there. Here is how my Jeep looks after all the tuning and getting it down to 3", this is the lowest lift you could probably get with the bolt on coil overs. Setting this lift at 2.5" is nearly impossible, you'd bottom out on the bumpstops on every bump.

Before:
Click image for larger version

Name:	evo rears rake.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	380911

After:
Click image for larger version

Name:	JK 3.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	380912Click image for larger version

Name:	JK 1.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	380913Click image for larger version

Name:	JK 2.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	380916
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GCM 2
Yes, you could definitely run the older/original single shock weld on version up front and do the EVO lever later on. It doesn't get advertised much, but plenty of guys went this route prior to the new front and rear bolt on kit becoming available. Remember, the bolt on kit was developed by EVO mfg as an entry level coilover set up.....which is still better than any traditional coil and shock lift kit out there.

The number may seem irrelevant, but in the world of suspension travel, 3" more travel is actually an incredible amount. The other benefit of the EVO lever is the amazing amount of bottom clearance that is gained due to the fact there are no shock absorber brackets hanging below the axle.
Thanks alot, great info. I think thats the route im going to go with then.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrushJKU
Originally Posted by GCM 2

Right on, We have a handful of customers running the double throw down front tower with just a single coilover. That way it can be easily upgraded at a later time
Originally Posted by inspect-a-home
Had the same issue at the rears due to my Jeep being so light..it's a simple fix, replace the 12" top spring with a 10" spring and or go with lighter springs back there. Here is how my Jeep looks after all the tuning and getting it down to 3", this is the lowest lift you could probably get with the bolt on coil overs. Setting this lift at 2.5" is nearly impossible, you'd bottom out on the bumpstops on every bump.
You can get it about that low, you just need to know how to set up the coil timing correctly.

Originally Posted by rtguy1
he just needs to swap out the coils on the actual coilover, very simple fix. If anyone has this issues just call us we will get it taken care of

Please give us a call, we can set you up with the correct coils the first time around
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4195268340.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	381068   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3699587546.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	381069  

Last edited by EVO MFG; 10-22-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo rear coilover or lever system?