Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO Rocker Skins and Rock Rails Questions

Old 10-25-2012, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EVO Rocker Skins and Rock Rails Questions

My next improvement is definitely protecting the oil pan. Of course the EVO skid like it is made very well and it is made here in CA so I'll be going with their skid.

Right after that I think it is rock rails. I really like EVO. I have a welding machine, but I am not a professional welder. I welded in my sleeves and LCA skids and I am very happy with the results. Anything particularly challenging with welding on the EVO skids? Is there clear directions on where to position them? Any lessons to pass on from those that have them or installed them?

Are rocker skins necessary for light work in the rocks? Will the EVO rails flex up and hit the body?

Thank you,

Brent
Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown626
My next improvement is definitely protecting the oil pan. Of course the EVO skid like it is made very well and it is made here in CA so I'll be going with their skid.

Right after that I think it is rock rails. I really like EVO. I have a welding machine, but I am not a professional welder. I welded in my sleeves and LCA skids and I am very happy with the results. Anything particularly challenging with welding on the EVO skids? Is there clear directions on where to position them? Any lessons to pass on from those that have them or installed them?

Are rocker skins necessary for light work in the rocks? Will the EVO rails flex up and hit the body?

Thank you,

Brent
Everything evo makes is pretty bomb proof.
The sliders have 3 mounting points, directly to the frame. I haven't gotten them (yet), but from what I understand, most of the work is in prep, otherwise pretty straight forward.
No, they will not bend.
If you look on YouTube you will find tons of videos of WOL, GCM, and mel from evo beating the crap out of their evo rock rails.

I think rock skins are personal preference...do you plan on smacking your back end in to something the bumper can't protect?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK

Everything evo makes is pretty bomb proof.
The sliders have 3 mounting points, directly to the frame. I haven't gotten them (yet), but from what I understand, most of the work is in prep, otherwise pretty straight forward.
No, they will not bend.
If you look on YouTube you will find tons of videos of WOL, GCM, and mel from evo beating the crap out of their evo rock rails.

I think rock skins are personal preference...do you plan on smacking your back end in to something the bumper can't protect?
I'm pretty sure he meant the side armor rock skins not the rear corners.

There's plenty of guys on here that only have the rails and not the skins. It's more for secondary protection incase something pokes through the rails. I got the poison spyder ones because they came bare and I'm cheap. The rails aren't going anywhere once they are welded on. I'm not sure how you would go about installing skins after rails though. So I would do the skins first if at all.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you,

Brent
the EVO rails will not flex into the body. The skins are for secondary protection against rocks, branches etc. You just need to prep the frame and attachment points properly and weld away

Last edited by chris@offroadevolution; 10-25-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JE8154

I'm pretty sure he meant the side armor rock skins not the rear corners.

There's plenty of guys on here that only have the rails and not the skins. It's more for secondary protection incase something pokes through the rails. I got the poison spyder ones because they came bare and I'm cheap. The rails aren't going anywhere once they are welded on. I'm not sure how you would go about installing skins after rails though. So I would do the skins first if at all.
Ah I see you are correct
Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

The only thing I can add to the already accurate posts above, if you have the cash, get the rock skins too for the extra protection and because they look badass!
3 options:
- Install the rock skins at the same time as the sliders
- do the skins first and then save more cash and get the sliders later.
- install the skins after the sliders are welded on (least preferred)

I talked with the guys in the shop at Off Road Evolution and it is possible to fit the skins on after you weld up your sliders, but it can be a pain. You may even need to unbolt the body from the frame and lift the body up a bit to get some separation between the slider (which is now a part of the frame, and that's a great thing) which will help when installing the rivnuts/nutserts. Here are a few photos of my rig to help you make your decision
Old 10-25-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GCM 2
The only thing I can add to the already accurate posts above, if you have the cash, get the rock skins too for the extra protection and because they look badass!
3 options:
- Install the rock skins at the same time as the sliders
- do the skins first and then save more cash and get the sliders later.
- install the skins after the sliders are welded on (least preferred)

I talked with the guys in the shop at Off Road Evolution and it is possible to fit the skins on after you weld up your sliders, but it can be a pain. You may even need to unbolt the body from the frame and lift the body up a bit to get some separation between the slider (which is now a part of the frame, and that's a great thing) which will help when installing the rivnuts/nutserts. Here are a few photos of my rig to help you make your decision
Thanks for the feedback guys. I like the looks. I suppose the only drawback of the panels is the holes you have to make are somewhat irreversible.

That rig looks sweet!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

Not quite as beastly as the monster of a jeep above but, I'd definitely recommend getting some sort of a skin. Really completes the look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4147499049.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	382385
Old 10-25-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

........ I suppose the only drawback of the panels is the holes you have to make are somewhat irreversible....
You know I don't think that's really a draw back. Yes it's a permanent modification, but it is also a realistic and practical modification to an offroad vehicle that many people wished the JK came with. I think if a mod like this is done in a professional manner, adds to the value of a vehicles worth. You may not exactly be getting all of your modification money back in the sale if you decide to part with your JK, but I just don't think you are going to decrease the value by any means with this kind of mod. Hell, I would have love to have bought my JK from the dealer with EVO mfg kit on it instead of the Teraflex boatside rails it came with. In fact, I HAD TO install the EVO rock skins to cover the holes from the Teraflex rail removal. Don't be scared, we are hear for you
Old 10-25-2012, 05:59 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Skins first if you plan to add them. I can't imagine doing it after the rails are on. Plus if you don't do it yourself (which you should), it will be that much more expensive.

Good luck!

Name:	image-3893364378.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	382482

Name:	image-1336253321.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	382483

Last edited by MTG; 10-26-2012 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: EVO Rocker Skins and Rock Rails Questions