Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recon vs Engo budget winch?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recon vs Engo budget winch?

Been looking at Engo winches as they had a pretty good showing in the most recent winch shoot out but came across this recon deal (pseudo link below). Anyone have thoughts or comments on either winch in regards to performance and/or experience?

Note that I do not want this to turn into a "buy Warn" thread.
Thanks
h t t p://truckandwinch.com/recon-10-500-lbs-premium-winch-kit.html
Old 10-27-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not hesitate to buy an Engo, they stand behind the winch 100%, even if you burn up the control box because you hooked it up wrong . Have not had mine long but works well so far.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joefnblow
I would not hesitate to buy an Engo, they stand behind the winch 100%, even if you burn up the control box because you hooked it up wrong . Have not had mine long but works well so far.
Thanks Joefnblow. I was (am) leaning toward the Engo 9000s but this recon package looks pretty intriguing. Problem is there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on-line on Recons, even on the Recon website. Hence I'm interested in anyone's first hand experience with the Recon. From what I can find it looks like its on the same playing field as the Engo
Old 10-27-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by KDBinAZ
Thanks Joefnblow. I was (am) leaning toward the Engo 9000s but this recon package looks pretty intriguing. Problem is there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on-line on Recons, even on the Recon website. Hence I'm interested in anyone's first hand experience with the Recon. From what I can find it looks like its on the same playing field as the Engo
I went with the Recon 10500 and have been very pleased with it. I've used it 5 times now and its performed great The synthetic line helped sell me on the winch, also I got a full recovery kit when I bought the winch. They also stand behind their product with a 3 year warranty. Do a search and there is plenty of positive reviews, only one negative review that I could find. Also the remote control for the winch has worked great when I'm driving while winching forward
Old 10-27-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69mach1

I went with the Recon 10500 and have been very pleased with it. I've used it 5 times now and its performed great The synthetic line helped sell me on the winch, also I got a full recovery kit when I bought the winch. They also stand behind their product with a 3 year warranty. Do a search and there is plenty of positive reviews, only one negative review that I could find. Also the remote control for the winch has worked great when I'm driving while winching forward
Thanks 69mach1
The full recovery kit and the recon 10500 can currently be had for $475, pretty good price. Do you know what the amp draw is at "x" lbs? I like he fact that he Engo has a relatively low amp draw (i.e. 280 amps at 8000 lb) but can't find any info on amp draw on the recon?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

There are several threads on this forum about the Recon and its reliability. I was going to get one when the winches shootout article came out and one of the forum sponsors started a great deal on the Engo. So, I got the Engo 10000 and do not regret. Great winch. I'd check with them what the current promo is. There's always one going on.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

heard some bad reliability info about recon, go engo...
Old 10-27-2012, 09:57 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by lkjk
heard some bad reliability info about recon, go engo...

Give a link instead of "heard". I'm up for learning more about the winch I bought, which to this point has been stellar
Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got the engo 9k 2 months ago. Love it and works perfect. Seems extremely well made too
Old 10-28-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also have the Recon winch and haven't had a single problem with it. Look on YouTube and you should find a couple of videos of the recon at work, I found one of it pulling out a bobcat from a pond that was hydro locked and another video of it pulling a box truck that was buried up to the axle in the ass end. Very tough winch and I will stand behind it 110%

Quick Reply: Recon vs Engo budget winch?