Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Just purchased Mygig RER.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The MyGig RER will work in your JK. It is just not plug and play because you can not plug your existing UConnect module into the RER since the RER already has built in UConnect. Where the Uconnect usually plugs into the middle connector on the back of the radio, on the RER you would need to directly connect the Microphone.

There are no Can bus differences between the 2013 and the 2008,09's, 10's...etc.

The reason the 2013 Uconnect does not work with the older REN is because the Uconnect module was updated to include iPod control and other BT phone connectivity functions which the REN MyGig radio was never developed to function with. Some people tried this combination and are jumping to the wrong conclusions that there are Can Bus differences on the newer JKs and that information is false. If there were Can bus differences then the RER/REN MyGig radios would not turn on and function at all in a 2013 and that is not the case.
You mentioned REN. Which system is that?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by GP13SU
You mentioned REN. Which system is that?
REN is the 2007-2010 MyGig touchscreen radio without Navigation and without built in Uconnect.

It's the little brother of the MyGig RER. Basically it's the same radio as the RER but the RER had navigation and built in Uconnect. Therefore, the REN does not have navigation or a built in Uconnect module, and therefore works with the other model Uconnect module.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myself and Rednroll have always butt heads with his he knows it all. So be it.

Several reputable sources are the ones many of us got the information from with the bus system.

The easiest way for a plug n play on your setup is the 430N RHB

He also forgot to mention how you will get two inputs for your sat and nav from the newer one input from the RHB and RHR.

And yes the RHB does come in low and high speed bus
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it. Looks like what I'm going to do is put the RER up for sale, and look for either an RBZ or an RHB. I want everything to work like factory, without any modifications.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought an RBZ a couple weeks ago. If you have any questions about it, let me know.
...and keep me posted about what you want to do with the RER since I don't have Uconnect yet.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chadc880
No it is not compatible with your options on your JK

You need the RHB 430N for it to be fully compatible and plug and play.

The RER is the older mygig for the 07-10 JK's

The 11-13 JK's came out with a new high speed bus.

The RHR and RER already have u connect built into the radio.

The unit will play radio CDs and songs but your u connect will not work. You could try Jerry rigging the unit with the u connect bypass wiring kit to allow your mic to plug into the unit but the RER require separate antennas for the SaT and Nav where as the newer ones are combined.

However like I said in the beginning the RHB 430N is exactly what you need plug and play 5 to 10 minutes and your done
This info is incorrect............

On your current unit, what are the three letters at the bottom right corner of the unit???

The wranglers did not change the Bus Speed.... only 2 are in Vehicles ..Low or High......The new Units that have touch screen control of HVAC unit etc are not made for the Wranglers yet and are on a New CanBus System because of the Options like the On-Star in GM's....

RHR. 730n are just a small upgrade of the RER 730n but they aren't any CanBus changes...

The 430 is a DownGrade from the RER/RHR units and do not have the Uconnect built in...

The changes from the RER to the RHR was combining the Sat Radio and GPS antenna into one...
Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GP13SU
Ok, thank you. So if I installed an RHR or an RER, I'd have two separate uconnect modules that don't communicate with each other, correct?
MyGig RER and RHR= Built in Uconnect, voice recognition on whole unit, nothing more to add..

MyGig RHB= Lower End MyGig, Voice recognition not available on Navigation and extra Module, Uconnect needed and has to be taken to Dealer to Flash Uconnect to work.

RER/RHR are higher Priced and Valued

RHB are lower priced

Uconnect Module can be sold if you alreay have
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

If he already has the connectivity package and upgrades from an RES to RHB everything will work just fine without having to go to the dealer to have it reflashed.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

Wow, Titled Just purchased MyGig RER and you are getting answers of how to use other units and spend more money and then worry about selling the one you are asking about....LOL
Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe all JK wranglers require high speed bus. So if you're installing one from a different Chrysler vehicle, be sure it's high speed.

Quick Reply: Just purchased Mygig RER.