Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Just purchased Mygig RER.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased Mygig RER.

Surfing craigslist I came across a Mygig RER for sale, in Pennsylvania. It was being sold by a dealership for $400. I called them and offered $315, which they accepted. Total with tax and shipping, it came out to $350. It says it will fit Dodge Grand Caravan, Dodge Ram & Dodge Nitro. From this info I gathered it's a high-speed bus. Currently I have a 2013 with uconnect and Sirius. Will this unit be plug and play? I think for the nav, I'll have to get a GPS antenna, but will the uconnect and steering wheel controls work? Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone? I've been searching around like crazy, but everything I read seems to confuse me even more.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be a high speed unit so that is good. What year vehicle did the RER come out of?

Starting in 2011 the bus system was changed and prior year are not compatible.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it is not compatible with your options on your JK

You need the RHB 430N for it to be fully compatible and plug and play.

The RER is the older mygig for the 07-10 JK's

The 11-13 JK's came out with a new high speed bus.

The RHR and RER already have u connect built into the radio.

The unit will play radio CDs and songs but your u connect will not work. You could try Jerry rigging the unit with the u connect bypass wiring kit to allow your mic to plug into the unit but the RER require separate antennas for the SaT and Nav where as the newer ones are combined.

However like I said in the beginning the RHB 430N is exactly what you need plug and play 5 to 10 minutes and your done

Last edited by Chadc880; 11-05-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chadc880
No it is not compatible with your options on your JK

You need the RHB 430N for it to be fully compatible and plug and play.

The RER is the older mygig for the 07-10 JK's

The 11-13 JK's came out with a new high speed bus.

The RHR and RER already have u connect built into the radio.

The unit will play radio CDs and songs but your u connect will not work. You could try Jerry rigging the unit with the u connect bypass wiring kit to allow your mic to plug into the unit but the RER require separate antennas for the SaT and Nav where as the newer ones are combined.

However like I said in the beginning the RHB 430N is exactly what you need plug and play 5 to 10 minutes and your done
Ok, thank you. So if I installed an RHR or an RER, I'd have two separate uconnect modules that don't communicate with each other, correct?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Exactly. In fact the older Mygigs will not communicate with the newer Jk modules. Many of us with 11 and 12's with the connectivity package found out the hard way when we bought REN's

If you've already bought the RER you got it for a good price so you can your money back if not more.

RHB's run around the 800 mark + -
Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exactly. In fact the older Mygigs will not communicate with the newer Jk modules. Many of us with 11 and 12's with the connectivity package found out the hard way when we bought REN's

If you've already bought the RER you got it for a good price so you can your money back if not more.

RHB's run around the 800 mark + -
Does it matter what year the RHB came out of?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

No. They are from 11 on

Be careful

If you buy one that came from a 12 or 13 be sure it comes with the security code. A new feature they came out with.

Only the original / current owner can get this through the dealer.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

No. They are from 11 on

Be careful

If you buy one that came from a 12 or 13 be sure it comes with the security code. A new feature they came out with.

Only the original / current owner can get this through the dealer.
Do they make a high speed and low speed bus for the 430n? Would one from a 2011 Challenger work?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

The MyGig RER will work in your JK. It is just not plug and play because you can not plug your existing UConnect module into the RER since the RER already has built in UConnect. Where the Uconnect usually plugs into the middle connector on the back of the radio, on the RER you would need to directly connect the Microphone.

There are no Can bus differences between the 2013 and the 2008,09's, 10's...etc.

The reason the 2013 Uconnect does not work with the older REN is because the Uconnect module was updated to include iPod control and other BT phone connectivity functions which the REN MyGig radio was never developed to function with. Some people tried this combination and are jumping to the wrong conclusions that there are Can Bus differences on the newer JKs and that information is false. If there were Can bus differences then the RER/REN MyGig radios would not turn on and function at all in a 2013 and that is not the case.

Quick Reply: Just purchased Mygig RER.