Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Grinding Sound at Startup when cold

Old 11-23-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mshahwan
Im having the same issue. We're in the deep freeze here 6 months out of the year. Had an 2009 jk with no ac. Never did it. now with the 2010 rubicon, it does it like clock work. Time to resolve the issue once and for all. Any suggestions on what can ben change to prevent the ac compressor from grinding?

Also are the oem mopar oil filters that shitty?
The compressor and the oil filter drain-back are separate issues.

I had the oil filter issue twice, on two of the four mobil 1 filters I tried.
Never had the problem with (6) OEM MOPAR filters I have used.

The oil filter sound is usually more of a loud, but brief ticking.
The AC compressor is a terrible metal grind sound, also brief but much harsher sounding. I have only heard it once.
Kind of sounds like the first few times I tried to find 4-lo......
Old 11-23-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a vw that did the same thing. I would start with
Old 11-23-2012, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter. So I hit send too soon. Good luck
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an idler pulley go at 2,800 miles but that was because I went through deep mud. kind of did the same thing; slight squeal for 3 - 5 seconds then good for the rest of the day. This lasted a couple of weeks then it locked up and ate a belt.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Without AC on, without fan on, it still did it. Got near 30 and did it several times. It is an awful sound. Can't replicate it in front of anyone.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by db09JKU
Without AC on, without fan on, it still did it. Got near 30 and did it several times. It is an awful sound. Can't replicate it in front of anyone.
Have you turned the key to the first stop, waited for the lights to cycle, then started it up watching for the low-oil pressure lamp (red oilcan) to possible flash momentarily? That's a sure sign of a bad ADV on the oil filter.

You can swap the oil filter without doing a pan drain. You only lose whatever is in the filter.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Ill give it a try. Weather Is weird as hell here this week with highs in the upper 60's to low 70's. so I'll keep trying but it might not do it anyway until it gets cold again.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scamp_71
Mine does this too and from my research it seems this is a fairly common issue. There are a number of threads on this and I have yet to find a definitive answer as to what is causing it. Just chalkin' it up to "it's a Jeep".
2008 JK in Little Rock, Arkansas - mine does this if the engine has sat without being run for a few days before I start it up - such as if my Jeep is parked at the airport while I am out of town for a few days. It's a grinding noise for less than a second on first start-up only - even if I immediately shut down & restart, it doesn't happen again. Never replicated under any other circumstance & doesn't seem to be temperature related for me (temperatures are pretty moderate most of the time here).

Doesn't happen all the time & has never seemed to cause a problem. Discussed with my dealer (on extended warranty) - they said to ignore it unless it worsens or causes a problem so I have.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jcjensen

2008 JK in Little Rock, Arkansas - mine does this if the engine has sat without being run for a few days before I start it up - such as if my Jeep is parked at the airport while I am out of town for a few days. It's a grinding noise for less than a second on first start-up only - even if I immediately shut down & restart, it doesn't happen again. Never replicated under any other circumstance & doesn't seem to be temperature related for me (temperatures are pretty moderate most of the time here).

Doesn't happen all the time & has never seemed to cause a problem. Discussed with my dealer (on extended warranty) - they said to ignore it unless it worsens or causes a problem so I have.

Good luck.
I've got the lifetime warranty, so hopefully if anything bad, it'll be covered if in fact ends up to be my starter, hopefully it will happen while at home!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by db09JKU
Fram Tough Guard. Been using them since I bought in 09. Not saying it is not the issue but I haven't had issues thus far.
I use the gold box FRAM filters and in my experience, they have been the best at preventing oil drain back/grinding starts. They have large anti drainback valves.

Quick Reply: Grinding Sound at Startup when cold