Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

People with clutch noise - please read!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default People with clutch noise - please read!

I was tracking down a squeak that I thought was in my dash when I realized it was related to the clutch. Besides the squeaking I would get a chirp when I shifted. I'd also get some noise sometime when just holding the clutch in.

It turns out it's the hydraulic clutch line rubbing on some of the firewall heat shielding. When you press or release the clutch the pressure in the line changes making it move slightly which can cause the noise to come or go.

I wonder if some of the clutch TSB issues are actually this problem.

If you pop your hood and look directly under the brake booster (drivers side on the firewall) you'll see a hardline. That's the hydraulic clutch line. Where it runs behind the steering shaft is where I was getting the noise from. In my case I could reproduce the noise by wiggling the line lightly. I bent the edge of the heat shielding on the firewall back a bit and now the noise is completely gone.

Here is a picture of the line. Sorry about the large picture but I wanted to make sure it was clear which line it is...

Old 06-04-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info..... Great pic...
Old 06-04-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good job .................
Old 06-05-2008, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Interesting. I've had the notorious clutch squeek for a year, and just this week finally took it in to order the parts for the TSB. She goes under the knife next week sometime. I am not happy about having the dealer do this but hey, I am getting a new clutch disk at 10,000 miles... lets see what happens.
In the meantime, i just ran out to the parking lot here at work and bent back that heat shield some. Lets see what happens. Good job, thanks!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

thats funny that i just read this cause out of no where the other day when i shift into first and second i get that noise... i thought it was something with a mount somewhere but im def going to look at that when i get out of work.

nice work..
Old 06-05-2008, 07:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

while i don't have the noise you are refering to on my jk, i have heard it on other jk's and as crazy as it might sound, i have it on my tj as well. this is really good info to know - thanks!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Good post , had my TSB chirp fixed couple weeks after delivery a year ago, no problems since, but if I rest my foot on the clutch just slightly it sounds like my 06 Rubi (box of rocks as they called it), just semi-loose throw-out bearing and clutch plate assembly I guess rattling. But I'm going to check out what you posted tonight anyway.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been having this problem for a few months now. I'm convinced it's the clutch slipping but I’m going to try this method first. I get the sound from letting of the accelerator them pushing back in. There was a thread about this a month back.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default throwout bearing

I had a squeak/chirp coming from my clutch after doing some wheeling this weekend. The noise only manifested itself when the clutch was completely out. Took her into the dealership today, & was told it was the Clutch Throwout Bearing. Apparently, the '08 had some issues with a too-short clutch rod (not a mechanic, but essentially the rod connecting the bearing to the actual clutch plates, I'm told), and there is a replacement available. Overnight fix. Warranty covered.

If we had different problems, great self-diagnosis on your issue.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I meant to send in a note on this, as I had the same squeek.
Had the TSB when I went in for an oil change/tire rotation and asked them to check it out. My jeep was built 3 weeks before that TSB date range finished.

When I took it into the dealer 3 weeks ago, they immediately put it on the lift and had a tech push the petal until they found the cause.

A bit of a bend and no more noise.

Glad it was not the clutch.

Quick Reply: People with clutch noise - please read!