Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

clutch pedal

Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal

Yesterday I noticed that letting out the clutch would make the jeep jerk... I felt new, normaly jeeps are a rough shift but this was rediculous. I got in at noon and there was about an inch of play in the top of the clutch pedal that is normaly not there. When I got back in at five there was almost three inches. This morning I went out to goto work and there is only about an inch above the floor where the clutch catches. What is going on?

Should be noted - replaced OEM clutch and throw out bearing at 32,000 miles. Replaced throw out bearing again at 36,000 miles ( bad mechanic)
Im easy on clutches and have been driving them for years never had these problems until I got my 08' JK 2dr Sahara
Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

...I am lost on this one. I will take a look at mine when I get back home. I think the clutch is self adjusting.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Don't fully understand your description but it sounds like a leak. Could be your master or slave cylinder is leaking.
Very common problem with these, I have been through several slave cylinders on mine.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doc307
Don't fully understand your description but it sounds like a leak. Could be your master or slave cylinder is leaking.
Very common problem with these, I have been through several slave cylinders on mine.
several??? what does that cost?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Look under your jeep. Check to see if the bottom of your bellhousing is wet with brake fluid.
If so it is probably the slave cylinder.

I'm guessing 300ish if you take it to a dealer. The part can be purchased from advance auto for $73.00
and put on with 2 bolts but bleeding it is a pain.

Quick Reply: clutch pedal