Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Routing antenna & power wires

Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wanted to throw this picture in to show the radio mount bar offered by Arizona Rocky Road (ebay).... My 2m FM radio is shown (IC2200H) along with an external speaker (for the HF rig)....I also mount my rocker/light switches on it. I use cable ties to hold cables and wires behind the bar out of sight.

I wrap the mic cord around the radio so it doesn't dangle.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	416784
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Dirk --

Real good advice ... and we thank you. I also like your antenna mounting bracket under the front hood. It looks quite sturdy. Care to tell us where they can be purchased?
Thanks -- Randy K4LJA
Old 02-01-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Nice setup, Drykard. I still do not understand where the radio mount bar attaches to the Jeep and whether it gets in the way of removing/installing the freedom tops when one gets ready to do so. As you can tell -- there's lots I do not understand about installing stuff in Jeeps. But you folks sure do make it easier -- and a lot more fun. Now if I can shake the last of this flu and get some warmer weather -- I'll be ready to play with that big bad toy.
Randy K4LJA
Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Okay -- here's what I've been looking for. Jeep Wrangler Radio Install | KØNR: Radio Enthusiast My behind-the-spare mounting bracket came in today --- so lots of the pieces are coming together. Thanks to all who have helped. Have a great weekend -- and may your favorite SB team win.

Randy K4LJA
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

And -- even tho' this gentleman hits on several topics --- power wire routing is also covered in this nice video. Thanks All --
Cobra 75 2012 Jeep Wrangler Install - YouTube
Randy K4LJA
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by k4lja
Dirk --

Real good advice ... and we thank you. I also like your antenna mounting bracket under the front hood. It looks quite sturdy. Care to tell us where they can be purchased?
Thanks -- Randy K4LJA
==================================

Tower Electronics out of Green Bay, Wi. <http://www.pl-259.com/catalog.html> has a bracket which fits this way almost perfect. It is in chromed steel. I did have to ream out the antenna mounting hole just a bit to allows the 3/8" mount to fit. It also comes with a 3/4" hole for an NMO mount. Cost about $12.00.

de Sam wb9rde.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Sam: I looked at their ad --- and saw a 10-inch Aluminum bumper mount for $12 ... but nothing like Dirk's mount. Anyway -- I think I've settled on an HF antenna in the back on the spare tire carrier... and later VHF/UHF in the front. I'm wondering now if I can handle wrestling with that tire when I need to get it back in place.
Randy K4LJA
Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k4lja
Dirk --

Thanks -- Randy K4LJA
I got it at a cb shop in Downey. The mount was a standard trucker mirror mount with 2 pieces that bolt together the mount was like 6 bucks. here is a pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-51651607.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	417378

i cut the length down and drilled a couple extra holes to put some self tapping screws through.
here is a thread with some good info and what got me started as well as a post in it with more pictures of my mount that i posted.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...-227276/page5/
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Gotcha Dirk --- I may have one of those. Appreciate the tip -- and the pix. Randy K4LJA
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

[. PS -- I do mainly cw -- but I will put a mic in the Jeep. I love it. It was worth the wait.[/QUOTE]

Who needs a mic? I think every good ham appreciates mobile cw conversations...

Quick Reply: Routing antenna & power wires