Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body lift a good option?

Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body lift a good option?

So I have started the long journey of picking a lift for the 2012 JKU (auto). I am trying to look at all options, so I will be happy with the outcome. First thing I would say is I am not wanting to cheap out. No amount of savings would be worth reducing safety, drivability or ascetics. That being said I want ~3.5" lift. In the perfect world I would like the AEV 3.5 RS. The reason I am shying away from this kit is the drilling of the knuckle for the high steer kit makes me scared. I want the ability to return the jeep to factory specs as I am 21 and will probably be wanting the next version of the wrangler (2015). And it seems trying to sell a lifted/modded jeep cuts your buying audience in more than half. So on to the question...what do you experts think of a 2.5" lift (AEV or possibly Teraflex) in addition to a ~1" body lift. It will give me the lift height I want for the 35" Toyos and will have the benefit of not needing a high steer kit (and obviously not drilling the knuckle). It would have other benefits such as not needing a new front drive shaft also which is kinda nice. Should I not be scared of the drilling/modded jeep selling or have I come up with a reasonable alternative? Or do body lifts have a bad rap because they are bad and I should avoid this option? I am just in the idea bounce around stage so looking for much wiser peoples opinions and insight. I guess pictures and/or details on AEV high steer/3.5" lift install would also be appreciated. I know 2.5" fits 35's, but they look a little too jammed in there for my liking.

PS. Its basically a mall crawler with some fishing/camping trips so the AEV is right up my alley.

Teraflex just put up a video on their youtube channel for their body lift install so it got me thinking.

Thanks so much for the time
Old 03-02-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

Daystar BL, JKS ACOS, factory coils- DONE

P.S. welcome.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not buy the aev lift, then goto the local JY anda pick up a extra knuckle for when you return to stock? Save all old components
Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicJayCook
Why not buy the aev lift, then goto the local JY anda pick up a extra knuckle for when you return to stock? Save all old components
I would go with the teraflex 2.5" spring lift with lower arms, and shocks. You will save money and have an awesome lift.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine came with a 1.25" body lift and while I personally don't like them, im not going to take mine off. Besides clearance for bigger tires and looks, there's no point. I have a teraflex full 8 arm lift with 3.5"lift metalcloak springs that gave me 4"higher of lift and my steering is fine, no drag link flip or anything. Metalcloak advised me it wasn't needed, and I don't notice a difference in handling so ill skip it.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

That Teraflex body lift must be really new...can't find a price/info for it anywhere other than the you tube video
Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you thought about the 2.5" lift and using flat fenders or cutting the stock fenders? It will give you plenty of clearance and the look you want.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 3.5" AEV lift

Originally Posted by wranglerboy
So I have started the long journey of picking a lift for the 2012 JKU (auto). I am trying to look at all options, so I will be happy with the outcome. First thing I would say is I am not wanting to cheap out. No amount of savings would be worth reducing safety, drivability or ascetics. That being said I want ~3.5" lift. In the perfect world I would like the AEV 3.5 RS. The reason I am shying away from this kit is the drilling of the knuckle for the high steer kit makes me scared. I want the ability to return the jeep to factory specs as I am 21 and will probably be wanting the next version of the wrangler (2015). And it seems trying to sell a lifted/modded jeep cuts your buying audience in more than half. So on to the question...what do you experts think of a 2.5" lift (AEV or possibly Teraflex) in addition to a ~1" body lift. It will give me the lift height I want for the 35" Toyos and will have the benefit of not needing a high steer kit (and obviously not drilling the knuckle). It would have other benefits such as not needing a new front drive shaft also which is kinda nice. Should I not be scared of the drilling/modded jeep selling or have I come up with a reasonable alternative? Or do body lifts have a bad rap because they are bad and I should avoid this option? I am just in the idea bounce around stage so looking for much wiser peoples opinions and insight. I guess pictures and/or details on AEV high steer/3.5" lift install would also be appreciated. I know 2.5" fits 35's, but they look a little too jammed in there for my liking.

PS. Its basically a mall crawler with some fishing/camping trips so the AEV is right up my alley.

Teraflex just put up a video on their youtube channel for their body lift install so it got me thinking.

Thanks so much for the time
I have the AEV 3.5" rs lift drilling out the knuckle is not a problem, If you wanted to return to stock you could take it apart put the bushing back in ffom the underside and put stock parts back on. it performs perfect for me, I pull a offroad trailer, I have a heavy winch & the front end has not sagged.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

AEV lift is def top of the line and will have the jeep actually driving better than stock. I have the AEV 2.5 lift and I love it. Also I clear my 35 inch nitto trail grapplers with only a 2.5
Old 03-03-2013, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have 3.5" mc springs that gave me 4" of lift...no steering issues whatsoever and no need to do a drag-link flip or anything. that was the advise i got from metalcloak - their jku has been running this setup for years with no steering mods or issue. leave it alone until you need it, no need to waste the $$

Quick Reply: Body lift a good option?