Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

River Raider Expedition Snorkel Vs. Rugged Ridge Snorkel

Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default River Raider Expedition Snorkel Vs. Rugged Ridge Snorkel

Since im getting the XRC Armor fenders(Smittybilt 76880 - Smittybilt XRC Armor Front Fenders for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec) for my jeep I need to rethink the snorkel ill be using.

River Raider Expedition Snorkel JK Expedition Snorkel

Rugged Ridge Snorkel Rugged Ridge Expands Line of XHD Snorkel Systems For ’12-’13 JK Jeep :: RockCrawler 4×4 and Offroad Magazine

Anyone have any opinions on these? I feel like with either of them I will have problems mounting lights.

Do any of you guys have either of these, I need some input.

With both of them I feel like its possible to mount a windshield light bar but I also want some spot lights on my hood.

Any other snorkels that will work with these fenders? I know they say a part of it comes out to work with snorkels but I just don't see it.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

The rugged ridge is the best looking snorkel on the market in my opinion. I saw a write up on it where the guy showed the space at the top and it was plenty for a light bar.

That's what I'll be buying when it's time to get one.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by c4bus
The rugged ridge is the best looking snorkel on the market in my opinion. I saw a write up on it where the guy showed the space at the top and it was plenty for a light bar.

That's what I'll be buying when it's time to get one.
Agreed. This kit looks best without the extension, just pop it on when you need it.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Love my Rugged Ridge snorkel. Granted you came run windshield lights I was able to get their hood latch light mount. IMHO the hood lights are much better since I don't get any annoying glare. Lighting has do many options that I'd get the snorkel you want first then look for lights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-413168804.jpg
Views:	1540
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	429972  
Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with AEV's snorkel, here's why.

All are compatible with upper windshield lightbars (on a different thread the RRidge upper snorkel needed to be heated and massaged to fit). You cannot mount RRidge's upper snorkel with windshield spot lights - I use mine more often than other offroad lights, so need to retain them.

River Raider's expedition snorkel is the best looking and most practical IMO given its protected position on the cowl. I would have chosen theirs in a heartbeat but it doesn't fit with dual batteries, that are positioned right underneath.

Admittedly, the AEV snorkel is a lump of plastic snaking up the windshield, however it is unnoticed from driver's seat, well made and tough, and importantly for me works with both dual battery tray and windshield lights.

Just my 2c
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HeyBob
Love my Rugged Ridge snorkel. Granted you came run windshield lights I was able to get their hood latch light mount. IMHO the hood lights are much better since I don't get any annoying glare. Lighting has do many options that I'd get the snorkel you want first then look for lights.
I didn't think of mounting lights there, thanks!

Originally Posted by westchester
I went with AEV's snorkel, here's why.

All are compatible with upper windshield lightbars (on a different thread the RRidge upper snorkel needed to be heated and massaged to fit). You cannot mount RRidge's upper snorkel with windshield spot lights - I use mine more often than other offroad lights, so need to retain them.

River Raider's expedition snorkel is the best looking and most practical IMO given its protected position on the cowl. I would have chosen theirs in a heartbeat but it doesn't fit with dual batteries, that are positioned right underneath.

Admittedly, the AEV snorkel is a lump of plastic snaking up the windshield, however it is unnoticed from driver's seat, well made and tough, and importantly for me works with both dual battery tray and windshield lights.

Just my 2c
good input, I never thought of River Raiders not working with duel batteries. That's something I wanted too.

I was originally going to go with the AEV snorkel but the fenders I want just don't seem like they would work with it.

Seems like I'm back at square 1!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kgries
I didn't think of mounting lights there, thanks!

good input, I never thought of River Raiders not working with duel batteries. That's something I wanted too.

I was originally going to go with the AEV snorkel but the fenders I want just don't seem like they would work with it.

Seems like I'm back at square 1!
as you know, the XRC fenders won't work with AEV snorkel, so its gonna be the other mods that make your decision on snorkel. The dual batteries were an important upgrade for us to use a camping fridge, and extended lighting use (although newer LED lights dont pull as much power as older bulbs).

good luck.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by westchester

as you know, the XRC fenders won't work with AEV snorkel, so its gonna be the other mods that make your decision on snorkel. The dual batteries were an important upgrade for us to use a camping fridge, and extended lighting use (although newer LED lights dont pull as much power as older bulbs).

good luck.
I guess I could always throw a battery in the back if needed
Old 03-05-2013, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kgries
I guess I could always throw a battery in the back if needed
I'd go with that. My plan is eventually to go with a smaller muffler, cut out the Pan in the floor of the cargo area, weld in a deeper one, and mount dual batteries back there with a compressor.

Long and short of it, it's easier to route wires than it is to route air ducts. Get the better snorkel, then figure out the battery situation.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

I debated long and hard between AEV and rugged ridge.

I don't really like the river raider because it won't support dual batteries but I've heard great things about it

I didn't like aev because of the look and the cut. I know it's an easy cut but it's a cut and it's just my opinion that not cutting is a better option

Why I went with rugged ridge:
- clean install and can be returned to stock
- great look. I get compliments from people who don't even know what it is!
-sleek with two options. Low mount or high ram

What I didn't like about RR:
- I was worried about the airbox seal but after installing I realized...id you can follow instructions and don't use too much rtv then you'll be fine
- I have windshield lights and it sucks that I can't use the high ram if wanted but honestly I don't intend on submerging my jeep very deep. This was more for small situations where I get a bit nervous about how deep the water might be. In addition to that I'm thinking about possibly making a quick disconnect to my wiring so I have the option to take the light off if absolutely needed. It's a thought.

I would say get the RR. I love it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1311781833.jpg
Views:	2479
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	429993

Quick Reply: River Raider Expedition Snorkel Vs. Rugged Ridge Snorkel