Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Country Series II 3.5 lift question

Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Country Series II 3.5 lift question

Okay...last summer I purchased and installed this lift on my 2-door Rubicon. After deciding not to use the dropped pitman arm, and instead going with an adjustable track bar, the jeep rides great. For some unknown reason (I guess the little extra cash I have is burning a hole in my pocket), I recently decided to purchase the AEV control arm relocation kit.

My question is this...can this kit be used with rough country fixed control arms, or should I go back to my stock control arms? I am guessing the RC control arms are longer, thus I will need to go back to stock, but I thought I would pose this question anyway as this is my first experience with installing a lift.

Anyone have any experience with the AEV relocation bracket? My jeep rode very nicely without it, but it does bounce me around a bit when I hit bumps...My hope is by reducing the angle of the front control arms I will gain a nicer ride...

Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It will actually make it worse. The fixed LCA'S were designed to bring everything back to stock geometry. If you hold the stock LCA'S next to the RC series II you will see the difference.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
It will actually make it worse. The fixed LCA'S were designed to bring everything back to stock geometry. If you hold the stock LCA'S next to the RC series II you will see the difference.
Thanks for the reply...So using the drop brackets with the original control arms is the way to go? So, is it better to stay with the RC control arms and no brackets, or go with the brackets and old arms?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM
JK Junkie

I would return the AEV kit and get some Ajustable Lowers and uppers. This way you can dial in your front to fit your driving needs. Also try lowering your PSI by 2 or 3 this might help was well.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Buying drop brackets to install on a kit that has lift adjusted arms makes no sense at all. Save your money and learn about suspensions a bit before messing with it.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:11 PM
JK Junkie

Drop brackets reduce ground clearance. I would look at them as more of a band aid or quick fix to a long term problem. Adjustable upper and lowers are the right way to do it. The nice kits come with all 8. But some people Ajust to the way their jeep rides slowly and add to make it feel right for them peice by peice till they find their comfort zone. It's all on you to make it ride the way you want it to. Your the one who is sitting behind the wheel day after day.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by eipi
My question is this...can this kit be used with rough country fixed control arms, or should I go back to my stock control arms? I am guessing the RC control arms are longer, thus I will need to go back to stock, but I thought I would pose this question anyway as this is my first experience with installing a lift.
Yes, you can use it with the RC LCA's. As a matter of fact, RC sells the same relocation brackets & RC actually gives you a replacement bolt in exchange for the one you may have to cut to install the bracket...AEV does not

Not sure about the difference in ride on a 2dr. I have the same lift on a JKU & after installing the AEV brackets noticed a dramatic difference in ride quality. AEV makes good stuff but I fault them for not including that one damned bolt.

Like others have posted above, adj CAs are ultimately the proper fix but the brackets will suit you fine as long as you intend on keeping your ride off the rocks
Old 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by CatWrangler

Yes, you can use it with the RC LCA's. As a matter of fact, RC sells the same relocation brackets & RC actually gives you a replacement bolt in exchange for the one you may have to cut to install the bracket...AEV does not

Not sure about the difference in ride on a 2dr. I have the same lift on a JKU & after installing the AEV brackets noticed a dramatic difference in ride quality. AEV makes good stuff but I fault them for not including that one damned bolt.

Like others have posted above, adj CAs are ultimately the proper fix but the brackets will suit you fine as long as you intend on keeping your ride off the rocks
I wouldn't use both the longer arms and the correction plate you'll get the pinion out of alignment

Quick Reply: Rough Country Series II 3.5 lift question